1981 Elco 305 - 2 cylinders not firing

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Same amount of an oil change? Like 5 quarts?

And what do u think about me just pulling some stock heads from another 305 at a salvage yard and if they look good to just install them with new head gaskets?

you can over fill it, you are not going to run the engine. As far a scrap yard heads you can find them but you are taking a chance. i would take a look at the heads you have to see why the valve was leaking. It could be some carbon stopping the valve from seating and that could be cleaned. If you have a big enough container I would soak the heads you have in the diesel fuel to clean them up

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
Ok thanks for the tips. Hopefully all it is is gunk. I'll take videos when i remove it. I'm getting ready to try n remove it.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you don't have the tools to work on the valves the savings of not buying heads will pay for the tools and you get to keep the tools... :)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Let me start with 'I understand budget repairs'.

Pull the heads - both. The heads look to be the problem, but the 1st video of the valve train looks bad on #1, as in the cam is not wiped flat at #1, but starting to flatten :(.

Fill the intake ports with diesel fuel and see what comes out the valve - nothing should come out for 3-5 minutes, but it will leak overnite or after an extended period.

Keep us updated, do you gave access to another set of heads?

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Where are you located. I'm sure I have a set or 2 of SBC heads that aren't trash. I'll just trade you yours for mine. We will throw some new o rings on the stems and lap them in. I mean a valve job would be the way to go but this will get you back on the road on a budget

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor