Status
Not open for further replies.

1984 Big Block H/O

Apprentice
Apr 10, 2013
Dysart, Iowa
LSX VIGILANTE said:
1984 Big Block H/O said:
Thanks LSX Vigilante---- The hood is from Unlimited Performance Products. (UP22.Com) It is a bolt-on 3-1/2" cowl hood.
It was supposed to weigh 33 pounds and probably did at one point. It was also supposed to be bolt-on ready. (No extra work needed!) Take it from me, it needed a lot of work. I spent roughly 300 hours on it after I got it to make it fit the car. I did not want hood pins and the thing wanted to fly off the car when you drove it. A lot of cutting and grinding along with 2 stage epoxy and fiberglass mesh is what it took to fix it along with a lot of aluminum 1"x1" square tubing. The thing probably weighs close to 90 pounds now. No weight savings here, but it does look very cool from inside the car.

Thanks for the info - I have seen that hood. I am wanting a 3" cowl for my '83 H/O and I really like the look you have. Hood is proportionate to the other lines of the car. I am not fond of the work it required for you to make it fit however. Great job :)[/quote

Just wanted to clarify-- the hood itself fit the car beautifully. I did not have to alter the outside dimensions whatsoever to make it fit with the body lines. Unlimited really has that figured out. When they talk about the bottom side being completely finished with "no extra work needed", that is not a true statement. I really like this hood for the fact that I've seen a lot of them, and none of them are finished smooth like this one underneath in a bolt-on hood... even if it does take a lot of time to make it the way you want it, it's still worth it. I just don't want an H/O with hood pins, and that's why I spent so much time on it in the first place. Thanks again for the interest.

LSX VIGILANTE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2013
Arkansas
1984 Big Block H/O said:
LSX VIGILANTE said:
1984 Big Block H/O said:
Thanks LSX Vigilante---- The hood is from Unlimited Performance Products. (UP22.Com) It is a bolt-on 3-1/2" cowl hood.
It was supposed to weigh 33 pounds and probably did at one point. It was also supposed to be bolt-on ready. (No extra work needed!) Take it from me, it needed a lot of work. I spent roughly 300 hours on it after I got it to make it fit the car. I did not want hood pins and the thing wanted to fly off the car when you drove it. A lot of cutting and grinding along with 2 stage epoxy and fiberglass mesh is what it took to fix it along with a lot of aluminum 1"x1" square tubing. The thing probably weighs close to 90 pounds now. No weight savings here, but it does look very cool from inside the car.

Thanks for the info - I have seen that hood. I am wanting a 3" cowl for my '83 H/O and I really like the look you have. Hood is proportionate to the other lines of the car. I am not fond of the work it required for you to make it fit however. Great job :)[/quote

Just wanted to clarify-- the hood itself fit the car beautifully. I did not have to alter the outside dimensions whatsoever to make it fit with the body lines. Unlimited really has that figured out. When they talk about the bottom side being completely finished with "no extra work needed", that is not a true statement. I really like this hood for the fact that I've seen a lot of them, and none of them are finished smooth like this one underneath in a bolt-on hood... even if it does take a lot of time to make it the way you want it, it's still worth it. I just don't want an H/O with hood pins, and that's why I spent so much time on it in the first place. Thanks again for the interest.

I couldn't agree more my friend :)

I will most likely go with this hood. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

1984 Big Block H/O

Apprentice
Apr 10, 2013
Dysart, Iowa
Received some pictures from BTR Bill Trovato the other day of my motor build. Looks like it's coming along nicely. Wish it was done, but all in due time. He said they just dyno'd the twin sister to mine last month. Made 596 hp, 646 tq on pump gas at 5800 rpm. Only difference will be that mine will have an Edelbrock Air-Gap intake instead of a torquer intake on it. Should be a fun little motor when it's done. Can't wait!!!

Attachments

• 2013-07-02 11.54.27.jpg
    2013-07-02 11.54.27.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,342
  • 2013-07-02 11.54.52.jpg
    2013-07-02 11.54.52.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,319
  • 2013-07-02 11.54.58.jpg
    2013-07-02 11.54.58.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,320

1984 Big Block H/O

Apprentice
Apr 10, 2013
Dysart, Iowa
Thought I would post some updated build pics. I haven't had much time to work on it, but do as much as I can when I get a chance. So far, the interior is nearly completed. Will install door panels and front seats once the motor and trans are installed and the rest of the wiring is completed. Got all of the dash wiring and dash installed, interior panels repainted and installed, carpet installed, rear seat installed, steering column repainted and reinstalled, and some of the stereo wiring is done. I still have to wire the digital dash, but will do so after the motor is installed. I will also finish stereo installation after the motor and transmission are installed. I have been working on brake installation including lines and master cylinder. Still have a lot to do. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,242
  • side view.JPG
    side view.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,238
  • front3.JPG
    front3.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,221
  • Interior.JPG
    Interior.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,230
  • underhood.JPG
    underhood.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,235

High Roller

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2009
Cowtown USA, MN
Too bad you don't have it running, was hoping to see it at Car Craft this year! But always next year

1984 Big Block H/O

Apprentice
Apr 10, 2013
Dysart, Iowa
We will be up there all day Friday and part of the day Saturday walking around. There's a big drag race in Cedar Falls, IA Saturday night we're gonna try to get to also. I will look for you there. Which of your Old's will you be driving?
High Roller said:
Too bad you don't have it running, was hoping to see it at Car Craft this year! But always next year

High Roller

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2009
Cowtown USA, MN
I'll have the red 77 442. next to the giant slide with Ryan and his 84 & 79 H/O's. Yea stop over

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor