1984 ElCO Rear disc brake upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
pontiacgp said:
I have always used a torch and a good impact on that nut...
i had an anger management issue a sec ago, was about to get some good target practice in... ill get it in a sec, just need to calm the hell down... :rofl:

LSCustoms said:
pontiacgp said:
i had an anger management issue a sec ago, was about to get some good target practice in... ill get it in a sec, just need to calm the hell down... :rofl:

nice of you to admit that your just a normal guy.... :mrgreen:

pontiacgp said:
LSCustoms said:
pontiacgp said:

nice of you to admit that your just a normal guy.... :mrgreen:
oh yeh, i hope ive never come across as anything other than... but that sh*t is crazy, damn bolt kicking my *ss

they are always a b*tch to get off. We used to run a metric (G body) circle track car and we always had a few rear ends for spares so we took many of those nuts and no one had fun with it. Heat it up as hot as possible and DO NOT use a 12 point socket or wrench on it...

if you have time soak it with penetrating oil over nite

pontiacgp said:
they are always a b*tch to get off. We used to run a metric (G body) circle track car and we always had a few rear ends for spares so we took many of those nuts and no one had fun with it. Heat it up as hot as possible..

if you have time soak it penetrating oil over nite
i threw some oil on it earlier... we will see what happens, had i known, woulda let it soak for a few days... so anyone else doing this, soak the damn things in oil at least 24 hours prior

if you heat it up a bit and spray some oil there's a chance it'll get sucked up into the threads...something like soldering copper water pipes

LSCustoms said:
still trying to get that damn bolt off each side... imma bout to torch it and set the whole thing on fire... waiting on longer wrench to get some good leverage on it... so far everything came off easy as hell, cept these two bolts
IMG_20110904_185521.jpg

took all the other stuf off, didnt need to but wanted to feel a sense of accomplishment right quick
IMG_20110904_182953.jpg

IMG_20110904_185510.jpg

imma get it this time
did u use a impact gun?

nope good ol elbow grease, i wasnt gonna let the bolt get me, f that impact...lol... just got on the ground with two wrenches and pulled on it... these pythons (i mean garden snakes) got the job done...
IMG_20110904_213816.jpg

IMG_20110904_200459.jpg

anyhow, ran into a more disturbing/angering problem...which i should've noticed much earlier...

fit perfect, bolts lined up good...
IMG_20110904_205022.jpg

BUT!, there r no hassle free bolt on kits for 1998-2002 ls1 rear brake conversions, the brackets will work perfectly for 90s-1997 LT1 rear brakes and will work fine with the stock ebrake, because it is on the caliper, while i do not care about an ebrake, I am going to have to cut the top of the flange off the axle tube ends, drill the bottom two bolts out to 3/8", bolt the stock LS1 ebrake/caliper bracket on with the bottom two bolts, clamp the top, mark and drill the two top bolts out and bolt the damn thing up...
IMG_20110904_205625.jpg

IMG_20110904_205745.jpg

the good news is, the new total for my rear disc upgrade is back down to $150

so cleaned up the two 2002 backing plates and gonna mask and spray them up real quick, will cut the top of the flange tomorrow and drill the holes out... you have to cut the top of the flange, because of the ebrake plunger on the back of the backing plate wont allow the plate to sit flush without doing so... basically gotta cut off just below the big hole on the top of the flange...
IMG_20110904_213726.jpg

so if anyone wants to go and pull a set of rear brakes off an lt1 97 and older i already have the brackets... :evil:

oh well 😀

on a good note, Ed answered his phone, called around 9pm my time, he apologized for the mix up, but it really wasnt his fault, I didnt pay attention to the LT1 thing in the description, i thought it would be for LT1/Ls1, he confirmed i gotta use the stock backing plates and modify the flange on the rear end, i cant wait to yank this 7.5 out now, imma do a torture test on it... unless someone wants to buy a disc brake/7.5/auburn posi/3.73 setup for a good deal... we shall see.

I've been there before. Take a break. When you cool off it will be much easier. But I will take you advice a soak it a couple days in advance. thanks and keep at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor