1984 ElCO Rear disc brake upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
87ttop said:
what is the difference between ls1 and lt1 brakes
the LT1 brakes dont have the ebrake on the backing plate/caliper bracket... i think the ebrake is built into the caliper and the flynbye brackets allow the caliper to bolt to the axle flanges without mod to them, as in one of my earlier pics of the actual brackets in the car, before i finished my install of the LS1s

Geed_up_442

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
So let me make sure i understand you. With the Flynbye.com bracket you can't use the caliper's e-brake on the lt1 brakes? And is this because of a linkage issue or the placement of the e-brake in comparison to the bottom shock mount?

I was also looking into using the c-5's brakes if possible. C-5's are the same bolt pattern as our cars.

On another post ("rear disc brake conversion") a guy said he changed sides (passenger/driver) of the backing plates to get them out front of the rear end to avoid running into the shock. would this mess up geometry or something?

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
442_7.5ltr said:
So let me make sure i understand you. With the Flynbye.com bracket you can't use the caliper's e-brake on the lt1 brakes? And is this because of a linkage issue or the placement of the e-brake in comparison to the bottom shock mount?

I was also looking into using the c-5's brakes if possible. C-5's are the same bolt pattern as our cars.

On another post ("rear disc brake conversion") a guy said he changed sides (passenger/driver) of the backing plates to get them out front of the rear end to avoid running into the shock. would this mess up geometry or something?
as far as I know, with the LT1 and the brackets, the ebrake can be used... and the shock can be moved in all of a 3 min made bracket and a nut and bolt... same as i did in this thread...

many car's stock rear brake system's have the calipers in front of the tire... I have done a ton of research and while I dont think it makes a huge deal, i think they function better behind the tire... i dont think it matter too much because the front brakes handle most of the stopping of the vehicle...

but i did read somewhere tht brakes perform better when to the rear...

miked

n00b
Oct 29, 2011
getting all this stuff ready to put on my elco(front blazer spindle with c5 rotors, and this ls1 rear) when i found your post among others. As i have a four speed i need the ebrake, i had found a post on some forum about a guy using the stock ebrake line and now i cant find it. Have you started tackling this part yet?

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
miked said:
getting all this stuff ready to put on my elco(front blazer spindle with c5 rotors, and this ls1 rear) when i found your post among others. As i have a four speed i need the ebrake, i had found a post on some forum about a guy using the stock ebrake line and now i cant find it. Have you started tackling this part yet?
yes, I will show how Im doing this in a little bit, few days... in the other thread doesnt really say where he got the fitting (hook) part to put on our gbody ebrake end, to hook to the ebrake on the backing plate, the bracket is easy... i bought some couplers for aircraft line, that i will be using to crimp the ls1 style ebrake end on the stock ebrake cable, unless i can find the fitting for it...

samckitt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2009
Eastern VA
Hi, I'm bringin back an old thread wondering if you ever got the emergency brakes working on this rear disc setup.

Thanks,
Scot

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
samckitt said:
Hi, I'm bringin back an old thread wondering if you ever got the emergency brakes working on this rear disc setup.

Thanks,
Scot
I have everything to do it... however, I have a 9" going in and this coming out, when it gets put on one of Warrens projects, Ill do a video on how its done...

amanzo00

n00b
Sep 1, 2011
Let me know what you guys have used to fit on 86 Monte 15" aluminum rims for rear rotors, backing plates, calipers and if there is any stainless ebrake cable kit or how they were connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor