1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
Radiator back in the car. BIG stuff.

Als0 got the 4-note GM horn... sounds like a train! Dm7, to be precise... wow.

Sample sound... : http://youtu.be/B3e5BCE9zFI

Attachments

• Screenshots_2014-08-25-20-32-45.png
    Screenshots_2014-08-25-20-32-45.png
    548.3 KB · Views: 745

martin.ca

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2008
Wet Coast of Canadia
I'm surprised I'd missed this thread. I've a 1981 Cutlass Brougham sedan (no vinyl top) that was made in St.Therese.

You've done a few things I did, including replacing the granny cluster and stuff, but mine came with the heavy duty FE2 (F41 wasn't in the RPOs for 1981). Have you checked the body/frame mounts? With your stiffer springs, they may need looking at...

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
martin.ca said:
I'm surprised I'd missed this thread. I've a 1981 Cutlass Brougham sedan (no vinyl top) that was made in St.Therese.
You should start yourself a build thread, I find them interesting :)

martin.ca said:
I Have you checked the body/frame mounts? With your stiffer springs, they may need looking at...
I hear some rattling indeed ... Will have to check these, good point.

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
As per the lengthy thread posted here...:

http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... A2cbKMep3s

Finally solved my brake problems.

Context:
Installing a 4-wheel disc Chevrolet Caprice 1989 master cylinder on a g-body. This is a first step before I change the rear axle and use disc brakes on the rear. Rear brakes are still drums right now.

Symptoms:
* Brake pedal has a very firm feel for the first portion of the travel
* Pedal becomes almost "blocked" for the second (deeper) part of the travel
* When driving, there's little stopping power to the front discs
* After a few stops, no more stopping power up front & pedal travel is clearly blocked . Almost feels like it's metal on metal block, but really, it's an hydraulic blocked.
* When purging the brakes, pedal travel is very difficult / very difficult to purge the front brakes after the rear brakes are purged.

Root cause:
* Front/Rear brake lines mixed up at the master cylinder.
* The first portion of the master cylinder sends a lot of brake fluid to the rear wheels
* Rear wheel brakes accept fluid but become full/saturated quickly drum brakes (they need less brake fluid compared to disc brakes), hence the blocking feel in the pedal
* As the car is driven, pressure rises naturally in the system and pedal becomes more and more difficult to depress
* As pedal becomes more difficult to depress, less oil is sent to the front wheels
* Front wheel brake appear to "fade" progressively.
* After leaving the car to rest, pressure lowers naturally and front brakes become effective again.
* Purging the brakes with the system this way, it will feel like your proportioning valve is sticking and blocking the front circuit (if your valve has an internal low pressure piston, which all GM valves have)

Solution:
* Swap the brake lines at the proportioning valve level, and purge.

HOPE THIS HELPS...!!!!

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
The last modification before the great winter sleep - power mirror installed driver side (but not wired).

Need to store the car early because the Cadillac needs some work done on the rear breaks.

Attachments

• 20140921_132740.jpg
    20140921_132740.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 504

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
I also think a front wheel bearing will need to be repacked with grease, passenger side, front wheel was vibrating when driving it to storage.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
how did you shoe-horn that giant rad in there ? It looks massive next to the stocker.
Caddy Horns are a nice touch. Every time I am at the wreckers I tend to grab at least one. I run 2x lows and 1x high on the monte. 2x highs and 2x lows on the van. The ones on the 2000+ Impalas are pretty loud too.

Hows the caddy working out for you ?? Is the 4-6-8 still functioning ?

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
gdouaire said:

Is the four note horn an easy swap? I'm curious because I can't get enough of the Roadmaster's horn :lol:

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
RustRocket said:
gdouaire said:

Is the four note horn an easy swap? I'm curious because I can't get enough of the Roadmaster's horn :lol:

I ended up using the horns on my 1981 Cadillac - thr ones on the Cadillac were toasted/fried!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor