1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
My father's Oldsmobile, a 4-door Cutlass with an anemic 231 2BBL V6. That engine used to make 110 hp when it was new, but now it's probably lower. The car is loaded with options - A/C, power everything, vinyl roof, rallye wheels. It has a 200C transmission and the gears in the differential are unknown. The suspension is incredibly soft. It has a few surface rust spots.

My goal is to keep the car stock looking inside out but improve it. Keeping a Buick six is a must. A mild turbo setup, with TBI, a 200-4R, to increase power but keep the "economy". It currently runs at 11 liters/100km / 21mpg. I'd like to improve that gas milleage, along with much more power & fun. Eventually, a bit stiffer suspension.

This year:
* install a rallye pac cluster (found one on eBay, also found the sender for temp and oil )
* buy a "staging" Buick V-6 engine (bought one, a 1977 odd-fire )
* buy a "GN" turbo kit (bought one, eBay )
* get a camshaft ( Isky 1171-TA, bought)
* buy a 200-4R and have it rebuilt ( will go tomorrow to see one for sale)
* setup the engine in the basement, and build it all winter.
* of course, the Olds will be stored for Winter ( by end of September )
Nice car! Glad its a V6 or getting it in and out of the basement would be a b*tch!!

slowcord

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2016
Los Angeles
thanks for dropping by! tails, as in tail lights?

Yes. A long time ago i picked up a mint set with a small scratch on them, always planed to swap them to my 84, never did.
After i moved i ran into them again. Ill send a pic, i think i may have a few odds and ends from my 84 too.

Reactions: 1 user

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
Lots of small improvements under way.

As I am doing stuff in the doors, I also am adding a layer of sound deadener, and removing the OEM stuff in the door which was getting, hmmm, a bit too damp for my liking.

Using Noico Red 8mm/315 mil on the panels - door, kick, b pillar, etc. It's waterproof, sticky, and will likely make a sound difference, even if it's not the official way to install it.

My theory is that attaching the sound deadener to the panel will make it easier to service the door/windows mechanisms in the future while still making a difference in terms of noise. We'll see.

20201023_151741.jpg

20201023_151758.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Eddie Cutlass

Apprentice
May 3, 2020
San Diego
Great thread! Just finished reading it all. Motivating me to start on my ‘85 Cutlass Sedan.
That Dexoit works miracles. 🙌🏽🙌🏽🙌🏽

Reactions: 2 users

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Better sill plates!

The old ones were going. Guess it was salt/corrosion, etc.

Side by side diff:

20201120_121923.jpg

20201120_121939.jpg

20201120_121929.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Slow winter/pandemic days -- this is the crude video of my WIP of turning the rear Cutlass tail lights into sequential lights, based on a Mustang led kit I am cannibalizing.

• Creative
Reactions: 6 users

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Removed and labeled all (well, most) chrome from the car, time to get the rust out over the next few weeks...

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor