1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
20230206_180540.jpg

Got the EGR valve, it's installed.

The small carb parts finally came in the mail, but I'm too tired to install anything tonight, it's a case of the Mondays... At least, all the parts look OK.

Reactions: 3 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
So I've been through the whole thread, will this be a bone stock build or are you gonna add a couple psi, more timing, premium fuel, etc? Or was this a premium only motor stock? Get it going stock and then later bolt on a Wuhan War Whistle with intercooler?

Reactions: 1 users

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
So I've been through the whole thread, will this be a bone stock build or are you gonna add a couple psi, more timing, premium fuel, etc? Or was this a premium only motor stock? Get it going stock and then later bolt on a Wuhan War Whistle with intercooler?
Hey thanks for dropping by!

The engine will be mostly stock - except it has a somehow bigger camshaft (1987 Buick GN have a bit more lift/duration than the 1980 ones), richer metering rods in the carb, oversized headers, beefier oil pump and maybe - eventually - water injection (love this crude setup http://www.beforeblack.net/alcohol.htm )

No clue what the exact outcome will be - in terms of PSI or HP. As long as there will not be detonation, I will be happy ;)

I am adding a secondary knock sensor system, just to get better visibility : https://www.bylund-automotive.com/store/#!/products/knock-shield-2-for-arduino

As this is a drawthrough carb setup, no intercooler can be used, unfortunately.

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Sounds kinda like you cherry picked the best stock bits you could. I intercooled a draw through supercharger setup before, you could tell with the throttle response but it wasn't odd to live with, but derr it didn't have fuel suspended in that air charge like you will.

Reactions: 1 users

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Sounds kinda like you cherry picked the best stock bits you could. I intercooled a draw through supercharger setup before, you could tell with the throttle response but it wasn't odd to live with, but derr it didn't have fuel suspended in that air charge like you will.
oh wow that's interesting, never knew drawthrough was "intercoolable" :)

As for my cherrypicking - one checkbox I missed was using a 4.1 instead of a 3.8 :)

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
oh wow that's interesting, never knew drawthrough was "intercoolable" :)

As for my cherrypicking - one checkbox I missed was using a 4.1 instead of a 3.8 :)

It's not too late. ;)

And while I implied it, I didn't outright say it: my draw through supercharged setup was fuel injected.

Reactions: 1 user

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
20230208_183901.jpg

all sorts of brackets and things being bolted on.

(carb is not bolted, just for looks...)

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor