BUILD THREAD 1986 Regal Project by 565bbchevy

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The underside of that Regal is really nice for a Michigan survivor. Lucky you.

Who made the exhaust system for you? Walker, or custom shop? Is it a Monte Carlo kit with pipes that merge at the cat?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The exhaust is a complete Walker cat back system, I ordered it for a 86' 442 from multiple vendors to get the best prices.
I was considering the Monte system but the catalytic flange is different and the Monte is only 2" where the Olds is 2.25".
The Olds also uses a pair of little center in/center out mufflers that together weigh less than the single muffler I removed.

DTra1n

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 20, 2015
Interior and suspension areas look great. I think I saw in another post where you sourced new interior cloths and carpet for $400. Score! Looking forward to seeing the body come along.

Sway bars - do you have a recommendation for front/rear that would fit an el caballero?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have Hellwig sway bars on the Monte and on the Regal I have UMI rear bar and the front is a new solid 1.25" bar I bought on Craigslist for $50 but I don't know who makes it.
And you are correct about the interior, I bought 2 new front power seats, GM carpet, rear seat covers, headliner board with no holes and a few extra yards of material so I can make door panels and it was all new factory GM stuff and I couldn't pass it up even though I bought it before I bought this Regal.

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
IMG_1900.JPG
Well, I have the exhaust hung, I will fully tighten the band clamps once I put it back on ramps and make sure there are no clearance issues.
I used factory GN single muffler hangers and then welded up brackets to mount to the Cutlass exhaust. I added extra holes for adjustment so I can move them up and down on the bracket.
I did not want to modify the exhaust in case I decide to sell it when I change the engine.
IMG_1901.JPG

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
IMG_1935.JPG
Finally got the exhaust tightened up and installed a new deep trans pan for the 200R4 along with new cunifer trans lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For those of you looking for a radiator that fits perfectly to replace a 307 stock radiator I bought a Champion aluminum 3 core that had no fitment issues but they do have larger outlets that require a different radiator hoses here are the part numbers I used which are both made by Dayco upper hose 70548 and lower hose 70936.
Since for now I am just trying to make the Regal a reliable driver with the 307 I also replaced the AC condenser, fuel pump, thermostat and all of the heater hoses. The grime and rust is only temporary until I do an engine transplant.
IMG_1931.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Looking good!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor