BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
**Coming soon** A pic heavy disassemble of the A/C Box down to 6 pieces for clean up and reassemble.
THIS is what I'm interested in. :) I've had them apart under the hood and replaced actuators and junk under the dash, but never had one completely out. I'm hoping to learn some stuff when I get round to mine.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I didn't take pics of the removal, but I did do a video.

Hutch

• Winner

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yeah, but when you're actually tearing it apart and rebuilding it....that's where I'm going to get the popcorn.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
A/C Box Disassemble:

So I looked around online for pictures or videos of taking one of these apart. I couldn't find a thing really. (Post if there is something). So here's my half *ss attempt at documenting it.

I'll say another thing. The directions in the Heater/AC Box Seal Kit have some pretty bad pictures in them. It's almost like they were good the first print, but got copied over and over again on a so so copier. Like a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy bad!

Maybe I'll scan them and insert my own pics and post them here somewhere. Who knows.

Give me some feedback as to whether I should post this disassemble in the "Cooling / Heating / AC" section here.

Thanks,
Hutch

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I vote that it remains in YOUR build thread. You should post it here as it pertains to YOUR car on HOW YOU DID IT. If you want to put a copy of it in the other threads, that's fine too, but I don't really want to chase your build all over the forums. Cuz I'm lazy. :)

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I remember there being one of those 7mm screws being deep down in a valley; that's about all I got. Pull the wipers, cowl trim, cowl screen, etc., and any screw that looks like it's holding it together.....

• Agree

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Heater/AC Box Disassemble: PART 1

Taking this:
IMG_4494.JPG

and turning it into this:
IMG_4533.JPG

Not finding any help on the interwebs (that I saw), I was only armed with the exploded view in the service manual and the poor image quality instructions from the seal kit.
IMG_4504 1.jpg

Tools needed:
1/4 Nutdriver
7mm Nutdriver
5/16 Nutdriver
10mm Socket + Ratchet

Let start by removing the "Evaporator and Blower Upper Case"

The entire case is held down by (13) 1/4 screws (2 of those screws hold down the Evap Tube Bracket and 1 screw holds a wiring harness bracket)
IMG_4505.JPG

Once those screws are removed you can remove the two 7mm AC Blower Relay screws:
IMG_4506.JPG

Then the 7mm screw for the Evap tube clamp:
IMG_4507.JPG

With that screw removed, you can now rotate the Evap Tube Bracket "clockwise" to clear from the top cover.
IMG_4508.JPG

With all that out of the way the Upper Case can be removed. I used a flat blade screwdriver to gently pry around the perimeter until the butyl "goo" let go.
IMG_4501 - Copy.JPG

continued.....

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Heater/AC Box Disassemble: PART 2

With the Upper Case off you can remove the Evaporator and Heater Core:

Remove the 10mm screw that holds the Accumulator to the "AC Compressor Control Relay" bracket
IMG_4509.JPG

Pull the Evaporator
IMG_4510.JPG

Remove the 5/16 screw that holds the Heater Core Hold Down + Ground Strap
IMG_4511.JPG

Remove the Ground Strap with screw, remove the Hold Down clip, and remove the Heater Core
IMG_4512.JPG

IMG_4513.JPG

With the contents of the box removed I remove the AC Box Front Plate (This portion of the box is inside the firewall when on the car.
Front Plate Removal.JPG

Remove the (5) 1/4 screws that hold the case (4 hold the case and 1 holds one side of the Air Baffle)

2 by the Vac Actuator
IMG_4516.JPG

2 on the opposite side of the case
IMG_4514.JPG

1 inside where the valve door is located that holds the Air Baffle. With that one screw removed you can rotate the baffle slightly which aids in getting the Front Plate off
IMG_4517.JPG

The shaft for the AC/Heat door valve pokes through the bottom case. Make sure to not damage it on removal
IMG_4518.JPG

Remove the Front Plate from main box
IMG_4519.JPG

continued...

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor