jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
Here's roughly 3 years of work on a t-top MCSS. We're doing a full restomod, floor, quarters, t-top portion of the roof. The whiter doors came off a different car that had been sitting in a warehouse since the 90's and the trunk panel on the 14th picture was an unused extra that we were told was ordered by Dale's team in case he got rear-ended bad enough on the oval. The A pillar/parts of the roof and both quarters came from Dixie Resto. I'm in the process of hunting down a 2inch steel cowl hood and possibly C5 corvette mirrors to help with visability. The doors were off a 80-84(?) car so they have the different door mount and the non-aero shape.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 127
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 14.png
    14.png
    420.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 15.png
    15.png
    671 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: 4 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Welcome, glad to see you are setting her straight

Reactions: 1 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Nice work.
Now where are you going to put the Do it for Dale stickers? ;)

I believe the bolt spacing is different on the round mirrors vs the aero mirrors, I’ll check when I get home.
But trust me, you don’t want Vette stuff. You’ll need to sell a kidney for those mirrors.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Nice work.

I believe the bolt spacing is different on the round mirrors vs the aero mirrors, I’ll check when I get home.
But trust me, you don’t want Vette stuff. You’ll need to sell a kidney for those mirrors.
Didn't want to comment since I haven't installed them yet but I believe the Fiero mirrors are similar for a power setup to the aero mirrors, one of these days I will get around to installing that once the car actually runs right

Reactions: 2 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Didn't want to comment since I haven't installed them yet but I believe the Fiero mirrors are similar for a power setup to the aero mirrors, one of these days I will get around to installing that once the car actually runs right
They’re actually a direct swap, same housing and mirrors. Just need a switch. I used one from a 94-96 Caprice, fits right in a stock remote mirror trim piece.

C4 Corvettes will also work, but are an 1/8 shorter and tilted about 2 degrees inwards on the mirror side, so the fronts point outward more.

Reactions: 3 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Other model mirrors probably won't sit right on the door, the mirror housings aren't identical between platforms. If you compare side by side you can see this, the part where they bolt to the door is different, some more than others. What I did and many others is use stock 86-88 Monte (86-87 El Camino mirrors may be the same too) and remove the inside portions, swap out the internal parts from a 3rd gen f-body with power mirrors. Then the Caprice switch, as mentioned, is what I used and it fits right where the stock mirror wand goes on the driver door panel and looks stock.

Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
They’re actually a direct swap, same housing and mirrors. Just need a switch. I used one from a 94-96 Caprice, fits right in a stock remote mirror trim piece.

C4 Corvettes will also work, but are an 1/8 shorter and tilted about 2 degrees inwards on the mirror side, so the fronts point outward more.
Yeah I got that switch off one of the members here when I bought the mirrors, my problem is I think my set screw fell off the adjuster I have now so will have to sort that

Reactions: 2 users

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
Nice work.

That’ll probably go on the tool cabinet haha
There’s this guy with a yellow el Camino (I think he’s called yellow elky or something like that) who has the c5 or c6 mirrors on his car, saw it in person but I could tell it was a lot of work. I still have the pair of aero mirrors from the original doors but I know they sit a little future up on the door

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
Other model mirrors probably won't sit right on the door, the mirror housings aren't identical between platforms. If you compare side by side you can see this, the part where they bolt to the door is different, some more than others. What I did and many others is use stock 86-88 Monte (86-87 El Camino mirrors may be the same too) and remove the inside portions, swap out the internal parts from a 3rd gen f-body with power mirrors. Then the Caprice switch, as mentioned, is what I used and it fits right where the stock mirror wand goes on the driver door panel and looks stock.
I’ll definitely look into that. Was it hard to make the passenger mirror power? Just thinking about having to wire behind the dashboard.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor