200,000 mile gbodys

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Most of us are performance enthusiasts so we tend to abuse break and wreck them more than the general public but Gbodys last.
Who has a 200,000+ mile gbody and what do you know of its story? Original engine, rebuilt, replaced?

fatso86

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2011
i have 86 cutlass with 250000 miles had 3.8 v6...
blow it up last winter.
put 1976 350 chevy in it.... had my fun
got my hands on 1970 455 buick motor (hell yea) its getting rebuild as we type....
hope it will be in my car in the next 3 or 4 months
paid $500 for my old tried cutlass..
sanded it down put new rims and tires...
front and (air) rear shocks.
all new front end parts.
v8 sway bar for the front.
v8 springs.
just getting her all pretty up for the ride of her life when i stick that 455 under the hood

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
291K miles on my 86 that's for sale. Bought it from the original owner. Every oil change (at 3k miles) documented in the owner's manual. Runs great, a little down on power, but starts every time.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My 81' Malibu wagon was a commuter car, Chevy 229, 3 speed stick shift, full gauges, no AC. I got it 12 years old with 150,000 miles for $300. I put a Pontiac 350, and a Pontiac 400, with a 4 speed stick, then a Buick 231, and a Pontiac 301, with a T-350-C. I kept it for 17 years, and it had just hit 300,000 miles when it decomposed around me.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Well, since I brag about my beloved old bomber every chance I get...
My '79 Malibu wagon (267 2bbl V8/TH350) had 225K on it when I parted it out in the fall of '09.
Still ran like a top and got 20 mpg. I loved that ****in car.

normal_DSCF0842.JPG

I bought it in December of '05 with 164K on it for $500. It was originally purchased in Iowa and came to MN in '98.
When the gentleman I bought it from asked if I was going to part the car out, I replied "no, I'm going to drive it". To which he looked upwards and made the sign of the cross as I walked out the door... :lol:
The exhaust had rotted off behind the converter, and I had to drive home with the windows down. It was about 25* out...
I had some duals made up and used the old Flowmasters that were originally on my 442 when I bought it.
He had swapped on the 2GC carb, grille, and set of blue six-hole rallye wheels from his previous '78 Malibu coupe.
I swapped the wheels the next day for the wheels/hubcaps from my '81 Monte because the front tires were almost new and the rears were good snow tires.
I drove it until April '06 when the rear brake line rusted out. It sat until August while I drove my Caprice the rest of the summer because it had A/C. I also put new pads, rotors and new front tires on it at that time.
Summer of '07 I had to replace the inner and outer tie-rods on both sides, and the front tires again (worn front end wore out the insides of the tires). I also had to rig up some ratchet straps to hold up the rear bumper, since the rear frame rails were so rotten. They had actually cracked at the top of the arch over the axle, been repaired with a large plate over the crack, and started to rust and crack around the repair...
In December '07, a loose parking brake cable (rusted free from backing plate) caused one of the rear drums to come apart, and I ended up replacing all the rear brakes.
Around this time the exhaust rusted apart where the Y-pipe had been fashioned to split after the cat.
I secured the loose pipe and covered the hole with a tin can and hose clamps, thus making the car a single exhaust.
The pitman arm seal leaked so badly that it would drain the PS resevoir in 3 days. You can see it on my driveway...
Finally, with the steering and suspension needing rebuilding, all four tires needing replacement, and very little left of the rear frame, rockers and door bottoms, I parked the car in August of '08. It sat until it's cannibalization the next fall.
I used, kept or sold all of what could be salvaged. The tailgate was the only rust-free panel on the car.
I sold what was left for $100 to a fellow who cut the front frame off to use under his '52 International pick-up street rod.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
My 83 cutlass has about 220,000. Ran the vin number. Originally had a 3.8 v6, and a straight bench seat. I bought it 2 years ago. Somewhere along the line, someone put a 305 in it (dont ask me why ) and converted it to a split bench. Ive since put a sbc350 in it. However, when they did the split bench, all they did was drill some bolts through the floor and use a bunch of nuts and washers to hold the seat up, lol. Ive got the brackets to be welded in, its just a matter of when I get to it. Im assuming it had been painted and the vinyl top replaced, because its in wayy too good of condition to be original. I believe its the original paint scheme, though. Rust wise, its in pretty good shape, just a little on the bottom of the doors. Ive been meaning to run a carfax on it, just to see where all its been.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
My el camino has 360,000 miles I'm the third owner and it's had 4 different engines over the years. There is no rust anywhere by the time I bought the suspension had been all re-done and the original 229 pulled for a 350. That motor was strong it had 416 305 heads and then i bought aintake carb headers a mild cam. The cam went flat so I bought another 350 blocked and i completely rebuilt from crank to carb and that motor decided to crack the block so I salvages all but one piston got my old block out and I rebuilt the old one with a bigger cam and the old motor destroyed two built th350s so I bought another with a 2800 stall an am hoping itll last. (new builder) but while I've had the car I have also installed 3.73s and etc parts but you cant tell it's got 360,000 miles she's still a beauty

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
My daily driver monte carlo has 412,000 kms. That's 256,000 miles :)

Original motor went out last year. The previous owner neglected maintainence. When I got the car I had to put $2500 into it just to get it roadworthy again. Unfortunatly part of the neglect was oil changes. It caught up with the car about a year into me owning it ... rings decided it was time to come apart. But that was okay, because it has a new lease on life with a vortec 350.

thedoctorisin

Greasemonkey
Nov 25, 2009
East Bay Area, S.F. Ca.
My 79 has about 200k on it. The odometer went out at 150k and that was 5 years ago... Or maybe longer.

Grammy bought it new in 79' and I've had it since 01'

LT1 swap last year and a th350 instead of the 200c pretty solid ride otherwise.

Could use some new balljoints. not that they are bad, but I want to tear down the front and degrease everything and get her lookn dynomite.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Re: 200,000 mile g bodys

200,890 now, bought it used in 82. It had 44,667 when I got it. I replaced original engine and trans about ten years ago with a GM crate truck engine with all the roller goodies, and a 700 from a 91 9C1 caprice that was a AZ DPS cruiser.
The speedo cluster got destroyed when I wrecked it in 2007 so now it has a Digital dash. Converted it to a Serpentine drive last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor