200-4r rebuild advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphamale

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2009
Georgia
I appreciate all the advice and information. I think I will upgrade the pump and servo along with the rebuild kit for now. It is going to be behind a relatively stock Buick 350 for a while. Once I get closer to swapping in the 455 I'll make the decision to either bite the bullet and pay the money for a stage II type trans or have one of the companies take what I have and make it better. This should allow me to have overdrive and keep the car on the road while I work my way toward big block olds power. If anything, I'll blow the transmission and put the T350 back in. I already paid 300 bucks for the trans so I might as well use it. I realize I probably paid too much for a non-performance 2004r , but I saw one for sale and I bought it without doing much research.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I've been down this path before, it's recommended to start out with an '86 up TH2004R performance CZF, KZF or BRF trans.
All three are all the same internally and use the same valve body just use different governors and servos.
These also, aside from having better '86 on up factory internals, have a better plate and a 3rd pressure switch as well, that's why it's better to start with a CZF, KZF or BRF trans.
WOT upshift is 4200 rpm on a KZF vs. 3000 rpm stock KTF.
BRF and CZF is 5000 rpm.
With a BOP engine with a bigger torque curve it's not recommended to use the CZF or BRF governor.
KZF Is the best IMO for big block BOP street applications.

alphamale

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2009
Georgia
Is it worth it financially to track down a KZF transmission to put behind a stock 350 that I really don't drive too hard anyway? Once I get the 455 built and ready for swap I plan on buying one from CK or one of the other reputable shops. Also, if the main difference is the WOT shift points, why couldn't I manually shift to get the desired RPM range? I am not looking to drag race on the weekends, 95% of my driving will be cruising and driving to work. 5% will be burnouts and occasional abuse. From what I have read so far, the only difference between the "performance" transmissions and others is the valve body/governor/servo, all of which could be upgraded anyhow. I understand that it is recommended to get an 86-up KZF, but if none of these were meant to hold behind a big block torque curve then is it worth it? Like I said, this will be more or less a place holder and gives me a chance to get the cross member, shift linkage and TV cable setup issues out of the way before I invest big money into a built up transmission.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The stock governor should put shifts points around 4000 rpm full throttle. Although my 88 CSC was a lousy 3000 rpm.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
IMO, if you can get the trans in and out you probably have the skillz to overhaul one. That doesn't mean problem cant arise or it is easy, but with some patience and diligence your build should go well.

my thread http://www.ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?topic=3729.0

You will find there are a lot of opinions on the interwebz. The more i read about the trans and transmission overhaul in general the more i realized that everyone has an opinion and many don't agree. This doesn't mean any of them are wrong, they just have their way of doing it and it works for them.

I believe the seven vane pump setup is fine as long as you upgrade it to a set of hard rings, and a stiffer sonnax slide spring. That doesn't mean that the ten and thirteen vane pump setups don't work, it just means that I think it is a waste of my money to up grade to them. I believe in my case the .500 boost valve and the .283 rev/boost valve and 700r4 spring worked very well at getting the line pressures to a suitable level. The condition of you pump will have a lot to do with the pressures yours puts out.

I do think you need a copy of the ck performance manual. If you want this mans opinions they are in this book. Is it the only way? No but it is an excellent how to with pix that explains things step by step.
http://www.ckperformance.com/View/GM-2004R-TECHNICAL-MANUAL

I also ALWAYS recommenced a call to David Husek at Turbo Buick Performance. He has vast knowledge and is willing to share it. He also sells the pieces you might need.

If you want I can pm my number and we can discuss or exchange texts with any questions you have. Let me know.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor