200 4R

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a problem with my transmission. Shifting into 2nd gear is fine until I take off faster than normal. If I stomp on the gas then 2nd gear slips into 3rd slowly or if I'm on the highway and hit the kickdown hard it'll reve in 2nd before it drops into gear. Otherwise the transmission works great. I'be run this transmission with the problem for many miles and it has not gotten any worse. Although it saves me tires and gas from having to accelerate at a normal pace I'm ready to lay some rubber. Anyone have any experiece with this problem? I'm an engine guy and have never rebuilt a transmission. I'd hate to have it rebuilt if there's a simple fix.

Thanks

and for those who would suggest I put a 700 in my vehicle instead of a 200 I don't like the gearing in the 700 transmission. It falls off a cliff when it hits 2nd gear and it's a heavier transmission than the 200.. :D

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
Try a good flush and filter change.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
start with making sure the fluid is topped up properly, just a little bit less transmission fluid than required will cause it to slip.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
200r4

I have a b&m shift improver kit that you can have. I'll be going through kw on hwy 7 on sat. Can't beat that deal. I bought it for mine but the stator or the pump let go so I found a th400 to drop in.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
thanks for the replies...I should have pointed out that the problem existed in the vheicle when I purchased the car. The motor was blown so I had no opportunity to test drive the car but it would have been nice if the guy had told me about the transmission since I was removing the motor and transmission out of the car anyway. The transmission oil and filter was replaced when I dropped the transmission back into the car....

marapii... the TV cable is adjusted right. It's a simple adjustment but if its not adjusted right the transmission will fry...but thanks for the suggestion...

arok...I'll see what I can find about a flow chart...like I said I have never done a transmission but there's first time for everything....

redhotregal...that's an offer I can't refuse but I don't mind paying for it. I'm stuck in the middle of the construction that's invaded the city so it'll be easier if I buy you a coffee at a Timmies or Williams of your choice at whatever time suits you.

Arok

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2006
Gainesville, Florida
pontiacgp said:
t

arok...I'll see what I can find about a flow chart...like I said I have never done a transmission but there's first time for everything....

I just did my first(TH350/83'cutlass) and the only thing I screwed up was the bolts for the front pump. I torqued them correctly but I didn't know that I was supposed to have new plastic rings for them, so it leaks when the motor is running, but not when it's off. Leaks right onto the cat so it never hits the ground, just fills the car with smoke and gives everyone around a taste too. I don't drive it, I'm shopping/saving for a motor and when I pull the old one out I'll go ahead and replace those seals. I'll be back at school next week, if you haven't found one yet I can get one from there. My teacher has a 2004R in his 66 cutlass/455. I know he's got the diagnostic chart for it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Arok..thanks and I'm in no hurry so if you can get the info I'd be much obliged. As far as rebuilding a transmission I used to build aircraft so I'm no stranger to complicated blue prints so i don't know why I have always been shy when it came to tannys. I have heard though that 200 4R is a transmission that is hard to get it right.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Weakling

The biggest problem with the 200r4 is it is the weak link if you want to run any horsepower. I broke mine with a very mild cam, intake, and headers. The input shaft cracks or shears right off from the stator, or the pump breaks. Both these problems are common on the 200r4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor