200 r-4 slips out of gear when I floor it

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutlassGrandNational

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2008
So when I'm in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear and I gun it, completely slips out of gear.

Also need to readjust TV cable to get it to shift at normal speed again or I have to go up to 4000 - 5000rpms to get it to shift

I'm assuming it's the TV cable. Before I go out and buy one, has anyone had this problem before?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Get that cable adjusted asap. Most likely the cause of all your problems. I can tell you that if you don't have enough tension on it, when my stock firebird(wow this was 12 years ago) would try to shift at full throttle it would never stop slipping unless i backed out of the throttle. I'm hoping for your sake that when you said:
So when I'm in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear and I gun it, completely slips out of gear.
That might be all it is.

CutlassGrandNational

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2008
Get the cable adjusted? You mean like push the button in, push in the cable, push down the throttle all the way and the let go of the button right? That's what I've been doing and it will still slip out. Oh and I think I didn't state it before at all but I need to readjust it often. Like go up and around the block and on the way back I might have to readjust it again.

When I have to do this I see no more or no less slack on the tv cable and the piece of plastic to adjust the cable has not moved either.

If someone thinks it's the cable please tell me what I'm looking for.

If someone think it's larger than that I'm gonna be rebuild a 200r-4...

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
There's a litlle more to it than that for adjusting it, but it sounds like you have more problems than that.

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
is it column or floor shifted? if column shifted, sounds like you need a new trans or motor mount. and yeah, your high shift points are probably the TV cable needing adjusted.

CutlassGrandNational

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2008
Yeah, Well I think it's F**ked now! I may have destroyed the vale seals. I'm not gonna lie ever since I got my cutlasses it's been a uphill battle. :(

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I just went through a engine swap and put in a Monte SS CZF code 2004r on my GP. It sounds like what i went through and no matter how much adjusting of the T.V. cable i did it kept slipping. I found another CZF code trans and swapped it out last week. This time it works great..... Except for the 2 to 3rd shift and 3rd to 4th shift. I was told that it has always shifted hard and from looking at the valvebody, seems to have shift kit installed. I feel you though, my car has had 8 transmissions ever since i've known it and i've done 5 of of them since owning it. :lol: I am waiting on rebuilding this one or buying a H.D. transmission so i can finally drive it without worrying about the trans. Good luck!

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
CutlassGrandNational said:
Yeah, Well I think it's F**ked now! I may have destroyed the vale seals. I'm not gonna lie ever since I got my cutlasses it's been a uphill battle. :(

The 307 will always be an uphill battle :wink:

CutlassGrandNational

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2008
damnit! why couldn't borg warner or tremec just make a Universal t5 bell housing like the 200r4. Does that not make sense?!

I blame everything that's gone wrong in my life because of that!

Ok, I'm done.

waggin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2009
Puget Sound, WA
Sort of a thread :hijack: , but I'm trying not to clutter the forum up with yet another TH200-R4 thread.

I'm looking at a car today, and it sounds like the TH200-R4 has some issues. Could slipping on 2-3 shift maybe be TV cable adjustment or lockup cable function issues? I'm not counting on it & expect a rebuild is necessary. Car has 140k on it supposedly. If it's something minor, that would be a bonus.

From a couple of recent articles in Car Craft or Hot Rod, I saw some recommendations for builds for big HP, and that in stock form the trans is good for around 300 HP. I see in other posts that a good build on this trans approaches $3k :shock: Without going big $, is there a rebuild with a few minor tricks that would stand up to a mild Olds or Buick 455?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor