305 Quadrajet to EFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Look into 4.3 Elky's for a possible source for the fuel tank/pump.
Thanks, I will. There's a junkyard close to my school that has 4.3 Monte sitting in it. Maybe I can cop that one if it's good, or I'll just get something brand new online. I think I'd rather have something new

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Gotta remember the coupe/sedan tanks are different than the trucks. This would include the sender/pump.

Reactions: 1 user

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Gotta remember the coupe/sedan tanks are different than the trucks. This would include the sender/pump.
Ahh, i didn't know that, thanks man

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Why do you want to go EFI? A correctly setup Qjet, especially a computer Qjet will give you EFI MPGs. No fuel system can counteract a lead foot. TBI has less flow than a Qjet, the best factory TBI are the 9C1 (Police) versions.

Those self learning kits can take months to fully self learn. They are also designed for mild performance powertrains, not bone stock low performance base powertrains with the gearing you have. In fact they can not respond right if your engine makes too much vacuum.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Why do you want to go EFI? A correctly setup Qjet, especially a computer Qjet will give you EFI MPGs. No fuel system can counteract a lead foot. TBI has less flow than a Qjet, the best factory TBI are the 9C1 (Police) versions.

Those self learning kits can take months to fully self learn. They are also designed for mild performance powertrains, not bone stock low performance base powertrains with the gearing you have. In fact they can not respond right if your engine makes too much vacuum.

I'll look into the TBI, thanks. I figure the EFI can easily be transferred to a more powerful small block if I got rid of the 305. Just trying to plan ahead

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
2.56 gear could be part of your problem coupled with the low torque 305, you're having to push it harder to get to where you in it's power band.
i think you're right. I talked to a shop about getting 3.42s but the price came out too high, I think I'm going to wait for now

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
i think you're right. I talked to a shop about getting 3.42s but the price came out too high, I think I'm going to wait for now

Well one reason is price is because for 3.42 you need to change the whole rearend or go with a spacer. Try 3.08 many 3 speed trannies have that set up.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor