305 Quadrajet to EFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I agree- change gears- best bang for the buck. But don't open the rear- just find a whole rear and swap that in. Cheaper- easier- and you may find 3:23's which are super good. A long time ago I swapped the first Holley Pro-Jection onto an '80 Firebird with 301, auto, 2:56 gears. It was great. I only had to add an external electric fuel pump. Mileage improved and performance was adjustable from inside the car. Best of all I could get emissions tested and adjust the A/F ratio while it was on the machine, then set it back to where I liked it later. The car is long gone but I saved that system for another project.

Bonnewagon is right, change the rear gears, but good luck finding a whole axle with a rear end ratio above 2.6. most Gbodys came with the Series 2 carriers. if you can find an 8.5"axle in good shape (442, GN, GNX, Regal Turbo), that solves a lot of issues you don't have to deal with. otherwise, if you pull a 7.625" diff from say, a Firebird/Camaro, then you have to know what you're doing swapping that in AND you may need to buy new axles due to the spline count.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
First thread talks about a 77 El Camino tank and second about car tanks won't fit the El Camino. Tanks Inc doesn't have a last gen El Camino tank but they do have the conversion I was talking about earlier along with others.

Universal Fuel Pump Module

that was the reason I posted those links. #1 for the tanks.com link and #2 shows that a Buick Roadmaster tank can be used

for the specific info, read here
https://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?p=377438&posted=1#post377438

and this posted on this forum in April 2012....
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/alternative-efi-fuel-tank-source.36967/

Steve C

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2017
I changed out to the MSD Atomic system. I looks great and the installation was straight forward, taking 2 days. The only issue was finding the Holley brackets for the throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor