305 Quadrajet to EFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I'll tell you my experience going Efi.

So l went spent the money for the best of the best, Fuel pump, injectors, intake an throttle body, spent alot of money, programmed it threw an according to O2 sensor. Well we tuned it on Dyno. I gained 1/2 mile per gallon.

2 years later l pulled the dam thing off an it sits on shelf because to me the carb system that was on it before worked better.

So save your money, switch rearend gears up alittle an add some proformance parts to add hp an gain fuel mileage.

Reactions: 1 user

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Well one reason is price is because for 3.42 you need to change the whole rearend or go with a spacer. Try 3.08 many 3 speed trannies have that set up.
I priced it out with the thick gears so a new carrier isn't needed. The gears themselves are only a couple hundred, it's redoing the entire rear axle that costs so much

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
I'll tell you my experience going Efi.

So l went spent the money for the best of the best, Fuel pump, injectors, intake an throttle body, spent alot of money, programmed it threw an according to O2 sensor. Well we tuned it on Dyno. I gained 1/2 mile per gallon.

2 years later l pulled the dam thing off an it sits on shelf because to me the carb system that was on it before worked better.

So save your money, switch rearend gears up alittle an add some proformance parts to add hp an gain fuel mileage.
Thanks for the insight man. After I see how much it all costs, I'll decide whether it's a waste of time and money or if I'll go ahead and do it. If you don't mind sharing, what engine trans and rear gears did you have? And what kind of car? And wha company did you get the throttle body from?

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Thanks for the insight man. After I see how much it all costs, I'll decide whether it's a waste of time and money or if I'll go ahead and do it. If you don't mind sharing, what engine trans and rear gears did you have? And what kind of car? And wha company did you get the throttle body from?

Well it's alittle bigger than yours, 496BBC, 4L80E, 3.42gears l think??? Z-28
Fitech up to 1200hp kit

But l still might be able to use it with a bigger engine???

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I agree- change gears- best bang for the buck. But don't open the rear- just find a whole rear and swap that in. Cheaper- easier- and you may find 3:23's which are super good. A long time ago I swapped the first Holley Pro-Jection onto an '80 Firebird with 301, auto, 2:56 gears. It was great. I only had to add an external electric fuel pump. Mileage improved and performance was adjustable from inside the car. Best of all I could get emissions tested and adjust the A/F ratio while it was on the machine, then set it back to where I liked it later. The car is long gone but I saved that system for another project.

Reactions: 1 users

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Well it's alittle bigger than yours, 496BBC, 4L80E, 3.42gears l think??? Z-28
Fitech up to 1200hp kit

But l still might be able to use it with a bigger engine???

Were you surprised not gaining much MPGs with that motor?

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
I agree- change gears- best bang for the buck. But don't open the rear- just find a whole rear and swap that in. Cheaper- easier- and you may find 3:23's which are super good. A long time ago I swapped the first Holley Pro-Jection onto an '80 Firebird with 301, auto, 2:56 gears. It was great. I only had to add an external electric fuel pump. Mileage improved and performance was adjustable from inside the car. Best of all I could get emissions tested and adjust the A/F ratio while it was on the machine, then set it back to where I liked it later. The car is long gone but I saved that system for another project.
I've been on the lookout for a complete rear - I'll keep my eyes open. All the ones I've found on Craigslist around my area are 3.73 open, which I don't want. I'll keep looking tho.

I'm glad you saw good results with that setup on the motor. That's what I'm hoping to get

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Were you surprised not gaining much MPGs with that motor?

Well l didn't really care about mileage but l didn't feel the performance was there, it works better with a 850 Demon or a 1050 Holley.

The car is full Manual valvebody an between gears it only really hit between 1-2 with the Efi, but with carb it's 1-2 an 2-3. So you can feel the torque difference.

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
head on over to chevelle forums and go to their EFI section. There is not a place on the internet with more information by people who have installed, uninstalled, cursed at, etc... EFI systems. Every freaking system. Sniper, Fitech, Atomic MSD, etc...

Some people say it's gold, some people say you can spend $1500 much better.

I say, let it be one of the last things you do. Trans/converter and rear end should come first. Any part of your car that isn't working well, address that first, ie: brakes, cooling, suspension, etc... If all of that is fine, then go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor