350 vortec swap in my monte carlo aerocoupe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
They vortec blocks, or al least the three I have in service would not use or accept a legacy timing chain set. My blocks also have no fuel pump mounting boss or the hole. They also do not have the recirculation hole in the water pump mount on the passenger side of the block.

So, to put a Vortec 350 in your Areo Coupe, you will need an electric fuel pump. If you choose to go with Vortec heads, (I did on my Aero Coupe) there are several choices for intakes, I have the Edelbrock Performer, ot clears my stock hood. Several companies offer decent throttle and TV cable mounts.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Is the recirc hole on the passenger side below the bolt hole? Also, granted this is a crappy factory morse link timing set, but it seemed to fit up just fine with the legacy cam in this block (I did not run it before changing the plan). Were you referring to a double-row legacy chain? I have heard that some clearancing may be required for these depending upon the block.
DSCN5606.JPG

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Yes, you can do some grinding for the timing gears and chain, but the the balancer is different to allow for the crank position sensor.

Leave it in place. Parts stores have the cover with and without the hole for the sensor, they are like $20-25.

I used a distributor with a bronze gear.

78_regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 15, 2017
All EFI, yes. Carbs ended in about 1989, I think, except for medium-duty trucks. The 'K' motor was TBI 87-95, and had the TB unit on the intake manfold where the carb used to be. The 'R' motor 96-02 had a different injection system that was under the the intake manifold. Looked like a spider. Only the 96 and later are 'Vortec' with the good heads. The 'K' motors had heads on the crappier end of the scale.
Mine is a k shortblock with a 1094 gasket under the r heads and eddy intake. I kinda wish I could gotten a roller cam... I need more cam I think lol

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Wow lol I remember when SBC s were easy 55-86 2 pice rear main 86 up 1 pice that's all I needed to know I got out of the game for a few decades and everything gets complicated

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Wow lol I remember when SBC s were easy 55-86 2 pice rear main 86 up 1 pice that's all I needed to know I got out of the game for a few decades and everything gets complicated

There was that whole driver side passenger side dipstick deal...

Then the different thickness front gaskets under the timing cover.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
GM recommends a 'melonized' distributor gear for use with the steel roller cams, so you don't eat the oil pump/distributor drive gear. Traditional cams are dark, cast-like between individual lobes. Steel roller cams are universally shiny steel all over. Summit and others offer the 'melonized' gear, change-out is as simple as popping out the roll pin and installing the new one with the old pin.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
There was that whole driver side passenger side dipstick deal...

Then the different thickness front gaskets under the timing cover.
Don't forget the pan difference Corvette to passenger car went threw that a few times.no place to put a dip stick lol that sucked

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Some do have the holes, some don't have the holes. Mainly the later van 880 blocks from the last couple of years of production are the ones that lack two of the bolt holes.
All 880 blocks has the holes. Its how the front cover is centered. Most of the 638 castings (1986-1995) will have the pins and the metal cover.

78_regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 15, 2017
I got lucky by having a 638, and a 880 from 95 timing covers are same between both of mine being tbi and obd1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor