350 vortec swap in my monte carlo aerocoupe

Status
Not open for further replies.

78_regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 15, 2017
GM recommends a 'melonized' distributor gear for use with the steel roller cams, so you don't eat the oil pump/distributor drive gear. Traditional cams are dark, cast-like between individual lobes. Steel roller cams are universally shiny steel all over. Summit and others offer the 'melonized' gear, change-out is as simple as popping out the roll pin and installing the new one with the old pin.
only reason why I didn't ante up was the outrageous price of the cam, & all required parts to change to...say like tbi cars with factory rollers. now I'm wishing I had went on and done it. or had started with a car motor

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Well, that price, is why I advise people to start with an OE roller cam block. Re-use lifters, or new ones are WAY cheaper than retro-fit. The LT1 and LT4 cams make power and work with accessories like a/c, power brakes, and power steering.

Plus, I have seen quite a few cam/lifter failures that end up costing as much or more than (considering removal, tear down, and rebuilding a motor) even the retro-fit cam and lifter set-up. Oil has changed.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Well, that price, is why I advise people to start with an OE roller cam block. Re-use lifters, or new ones are WAY cheaper than retro-fit. The LT1 and LT4 cams make power and work with accessories like a/c, power brakes, and power steering.

Plus, I have seen quite a few cam/lifter failures that end up costing as much or more than (considering removal, tear down, and rebuilding a motor) even the retro-fit cam and lifter set-up. Oil has changed.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
I have been using regrinds off ebay. Just go to ebay and punch in SBC ROLLER and look for a sale that has roller cams but no picture. Some thing like Wilhouse are the guys. They have three regrind cams listed the copy of the Comp EX270 next is the GM hot cam and last the copy of the Comp EX282. Priced from $130-140 and $15 shipping. I have used all three in my many builds. Worked out well for me. To be really cheap just reuse the stock factory cam and a set of 1.6 rockers.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor