350 vortec swap in my monte carlo aerocoupe

Status
Not open for further replies.

bendaggs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2017
Hi everyone, I picked up my 87 aerocoupe from a friends back yard a few months ago, and put new battery belts etc on it. Long story short the engine is seized and I'm looking for a 350 4 bolt for it. I found a 350 vortec block, and was wondering if there was any difference between the regular block and the vortec block. Can I just buy regular 350 parts for the vortec or do I have to specifically look for say aftermarket vortec heads. Thanks everyone!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Vortec is really about the heads. The Gen 1 SBC blocks are pretty much the same post-'86 except for LT-4. Pay attention if you plan to use a carb and mechanical fuel pump - the pushrod hole is generally not drilled on the EFI engines.

bendaggs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2017
Vortec is really about the heads. The Gen 1 SBC blocks are pretty much the same post-'86 except for LT-4. Pay attention if you plan to use a carb and mechanical fuel pump - the pushrod hole is generally not drilled on the EFI engines.
What do you mean?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Vortec heads have a different intake manifold bolt pattern, not interchageable with legacy. Only four to a side and at the extreme ends of the head. That said, they flow almost as well as the much-desired 'fuelie' heads from the 60s. See the 'sawtooth' pattern on the end of the head? that's a Vortec marking.
DSCN5622.JPG

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
So you only have the block ? 96 and newer will not have a spot for the fuel pump. 94-95 are a hit and miss if they had the allowance for a mechanical pump. Also the camshaft and lifters in a vortec block are for a roller valve train.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The block is the same from '87-'02 (?), with the pedestals for the lifter guide retainer 'spider' and the 'figure-8' guides. The one in my picture was from a crate engine I got cheap from a friend who spun a bearing. It happened to be drilled for the fuel pump.
DSCN5636.JPG

• Disagree
Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
A true Vortec with a carb intake is a solid runner. They have a lot of upgrades over a "traditional" 350. Just be aware of what you're looking at. LOTS of sellers will call any 350 with center bolt valve covers a Vortec. Often they're just TBI longblocks. Not the same.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

bendaggs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2017
A true Vortec with a carb intake is a solid runner. They have a lot of upgrades over a "traditional" 350. Just be aware of what you're looking at. LOTS of sellers will call any 350 with center bolt valve covers a Vortec. Often they're just TBI longblocks. Not the same.
so are all vortec engines EFI or TBI?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
All EFI, yes. Carbs ended in about 1989, I think, except for medium-duty trucks. The 'K' motor was TBI 87-95, and had the TB unit on the intake manfold where the carb used to be. The 'R' motor 96-02 had a different injection system that was under the the intake manifold. Looked like a spider. Only the 96 and later are 'Vortec' with the good heads. The 'K' motors had heads on the crappier end of the scale.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Main things to look for is 4 vertical intake bolts on each head and the roller cam. SSN's photos are great guides. Aerocoupes were TBI, correct? You can get TBI intakes for Vortec heads or do a carb conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor