3rd gen or 4th gen pedals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
1983ss454 I'm curious which hyd t.o. bearing you're using. I've got a 3rd gen master and may try a differant route with mine later in the future.

I have the modded 3rd gen pedals in mine. I tried the 3rd gen master and slave and stock 3rd gen hyd bell and couldn't keep the clutch from slipping. Bought a new master/slave pre-bled and the problem was about the same. I was making decent money at the time so I bought a Lakewood bell for the 83 f-body and converted it all to mechanical. That worked great.

I'm now moving up to an 11" clutch and pressure plate and, depending on pedal press and such, may look into converting back to hydraulics later.

I thought about going with the McLeod master which looks like an aftermarket aluminum version of the stock plastic master. But, I couldn't get any idea which hyd t.o. bearing I needed to match up with it as far as stroke length, master diameter, and such.

1983ss454

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2010
Ludlow MA
86Cutlass383SR said:
1983ss454 I'm curious which hyd t.o. bearing you're using. I've got a 3rd gen master and may try a differant route with mine later in the future.

I have the modded 3rd gen pedals in mine. I tried the 3rd gen master and slave and stock 3rd gen hyd bell and couldn't keep the clutch from slipping. Bought a new master/slave pre-bled and the problem was about the same. I was making decent money at the time so I bought a Lakewood bell for the 83 f-body and converted it all to mechanical. That worked great.

I'm now moving up to an 11" clutch and pressure plate and, depending on pedal press and such, may look into converting back to hydraulics later.

I thought about going with the McLeod master which looks like an aftermarket aluminum version of the stock plastic master. But, I couldn't get any idea which hyd t.o. bearing I needed to match up with it as far as stroke length, master diameter, and such.

The McLeod master is a nice piece of equipment, I know a few people that run them. I don't personally have one in my car, I had a machinest make me an adapter fitting and used a regular replacement camaro master. A camaro master has a 3/4" bore, and I use a hydro throw out bearing from quartermaster, which can accept 4 different size masters I believe. U figure out where the clutch releases and then make a stop so not to over travel the pedal. No slipping what so ever, clutch works nice and easy and its a street/strip 11" high pressure. Clutch works easier then a 3rd Gen camaro. Been driving it with it for 2 years, with a very stout big block and would build it all over again if need be

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
I do appreciate that info. I may try it after I get my car up and running. I'll be running a Centerforce DF 11" and if it decides not to hold I'll probably revert back to a Spec clutch. I figure a Stage 2+ or Stage 3 should hold it.

Which clutch you using to hold that 454?

1983ss454

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2010
Ludlow MA
11" dual friction centerforce if I remember right

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Got my brake pedal assembly out and put it on the bench beside the 3rd gen pedals. the clutch pedal lines up nicely with the cutlass brake pedal, but the camaro brake pedal seems to sit back 3 inches, any ideas?

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Well i got the pedals bolted to the booster and hanging in limbo for the moment. I decided to use the F-body booster and drill 2 more holes in the firewall for the difference in bolt pattern. I ran into a problem with the booster though, the bracket to the firewall makes it angle upward, and gets in the way of the hood. I'm going to see if i can shim it down, then match the shim thickness to the lower studs inside the car to line the pedals back up with the booster. I might have to use the lower holes from the g body booster and drill holes for the f body upper studs along with shims to get enough clearance, but that will make mounting the clutch master a lot more difficult.

DSCN4898.jpg

DSCN4897.jpg

DSCN4899.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I used the G body pedal housing, the G body brake pedal and modified it slightly by trimming the foot pad, the F body clutch pedal which I added .75" to it's length and moved the pin for the master clutch back 1". The F body pedal housing does not fit a G body properly. You can see by the angle of your master brake that the firewall for the F body is not even close to the angle of the firewall of the G body....

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
On mine, which I bought already modified, I used the 3rd gen pdeals but the g-body mounts were welded/brazed to the 3rd gen pedals. This setup seems to work fine for my mechanical linkage. I wonder if swapping to oem g-a body pedals would have any direct differances? Might or might not. I may try and swap to a hydraulic throwout at a future date.

username

Master Mechanic
Jul 21, 2009
Tennessee
Do you guys know of anyone using something like a wilwood clutch pedal kit
http://wilwood.com/Pedals/PedalList.aspx or would this not be any easier than adapting pedals from something else?I have been toying with the idea of installing a manual transmission and found a t-56 with bellhousing and shifter for 600$ but I'm afraid to call the guy and him still have it then I would have yet another trophy :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor