4.1 v6 to buick 350 build (about time) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
x2 What works with Chevys does not always apply to Buicks. The heads do respond well to some light massaging.

Cleaning up the heads a bit and matching the bowls to the valves naturally is key to opening its potential. TA Perf has excellent 1.92 & 1.55 stock length valves that are stronger lighter swirlpolished and backside radiused to provide much better flow than stockers. With the small 3.800 bore an overbore will help flow more than on most motors. TA has 60 over 10-1 pistons for $335 which should work great with stock stress relieved rods and make for 360ci. They will also machine notch the piston for the larger valves.

The block will likely not require much if any overbore but with the proven very durable design of this motor you won't need to save the block for future overbores. And with cores available for dirt why would a person anyway. These pistons are designed to work best with pump premium. With standard head gaskets no block deck or heads milling typically provides a little less than 10-1 compression. The combination of above with the TA 310 cam (232 Intake 232 exhaust 5.15/5.15 lift with 1.6 rocker ratio) and an 800 cfm Q-jet is the basis for the 365HP 390TQ motor that I linked earlier.

Headers are not available for the gbody but simple cone porting and cleanup of the factory exhaust manifolds help measurably. Sadly mostly only stock class racers take the time to do it. Combined with the largest pipe coming off the the manifold you can fit, an H pipe, and straight thru type muffs, the system should not cost you a lot of HP at this level. If you want to keep it quiet the H helps a little as does useing a larger case muffler and tail pipes.

FWIW I have had good results with Magnaflows. I used the 12256. A 5"x8" oval 2.5" inlet 2.5" offset outlet 18" case universal unpolished. It flows plenty is reasonably quiet fits the gbody floor just right is welded stainless and still reasonably priced relative to quality. I used there online wholesale warehouse locator to get a phone number called and the guy gave me them at wholesale drop shipped to my door direct from the factory so that it cut out one shipping cost. 8)

Edit BTW You need a certain amount of cam to make that compression work well on pump premium. That cam provides this but can still provide enough vacuum for AC & power brakes. It will work best with some 3.23/3.42/3.73 gears and I would estimate a 2,400 to 3,000 stall converter.

dogshit said:
Cleaning up the heads a bit and matching the bowls to the valves naturally is key to opening its potential. TA Perf has excellent 1.92 & 1.55 stock length valves that are stronger lighter swirlpolished and backside radiused to provide much better flow than stockers. With the small 3.800 bore an overbore will help flow more than on most motors. TA has 60 over 10-1 pistons for $335 which should work great with stock stress relieved rods and make for 360ci. They will also machine notch the piston for the larger valves.

The block will likely not require much if any overbore but with the proven very durable design of this motor you won't need to save the block for future overbores. And with cores available for dirt why would a person anyway. These pistons are designed to work best with pump premium. With standard head gaskets no block deck or heads milling typically provides a little less than 10-1 compression. The combination of above with the TA 310 cam (232 Intake 232 exhaust 5.15/5.15 lift with 1.6 rocker ratio) and an 800 cfm Q-jet is the basis for the 365HP 390TQ motor that I linked earlier.

Headers are not available for the gbody but simple cone porting and cleanup of the factory exhaust manifolds help measurably. Sadly mostly only stock class racers take the time to do it. Combined with the largest pipe coming off the the manifold you can fit, an H pipe, and straight thru type muffs, the system should not cost you a lot of HP at this level. If you want to keep it quiet the H helps a little as does useing a larger case muffler and tail pipes.

FWIW I have had good results with Magnaflows. I used the 12256. A 5"x8" oval 2.5" inlet 2.5" offset outlet 18" case universal unpolished. It flows plenty is reasonably quiet fits the gbody floor just right is welded stainless and still reasonably priced relative to quality. I used there online wholesale warehouse locator to get a phone number called and the guy gave me them at wholesale drop shipped to my door direct from the factory so that it cut out one shipping cost. 8)

Thanks for all the info 🙂 very much appreciate it and thanks for the link. Lots of good info and gonna take me a while to undertand it all lol, but im looking forward to learning as much as possible from you guys. I can't wait until the weather comes down a degree or two to start tearing into this thing :twisted:

Blake442 said:
Nice score on the motor... I wish mine was that clean when I got it :lol:

Lookin' forward to seeing it come together.

Thanks Blake, I hope I can drop it in my car as fast as you did your wagon. Quick question as well. I just got my rebuilt Quadajet from www.guaranteedcarburators.com its a 4 bbl and its CCC. With this swap will I be able to keep the CCC?

unless you also have a CCC distributor that will work in the buick V8 i'm thinking no.

however...i am looking for a CCC 4 bbl for my 4.1 intake. lemme know what you wanna sell it for IF you want to sell it.

G_Body_Enthusiast said:
unless you also have a CCC distributor that will work in the buick V8 i'm thinking no.

however...i am looking for a CCC 4 bbl for my 4.1 intake. lemme know what you wanna sell it for IF you want to sell it.

i will have to check when I get home to see if I have CCC V8 distrubitor. Would like to keep it since its a new rebuild. BUT if can't and do decide to sell it. Your the first on the list 🙂

So I finally got my carb in for my 4.1 looks good 🙂. However I stopped to get a gasket at Autozone because I didnt pay for them to ship one to me. But it did come with one. However they are both diffrent. Wich one should I use? Does it really matter?

Attachments

• carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 1,271
  • carb gasket.jpg
    carb gasket.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 1,281
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor