4.1 v6 to buick 350 build (about time) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
v2vera said:
So I finally got my carb in for my 4.1 looks good 🙂. However I stopped to get a gasket at Autozone because I didnt pay for them to ship one to me. But it did come with one. However they are both diffrent. Wich one should I use? Does it really matter?
dont think it matters did urs come with the one on the right?

kuruption109 said:
v2vera said:
So I finally got my carb in for my 4.1 looks good 🙂. However I stopped to get a gasket at Autozone because I didnt pay for them to ship one to me. But it did come with one. However they are both diffrent. Wich one should I use? Does it really matter?

New carb came with the on on the right. I know mine has the one on the left i just switched a few months ago. I was just wondering if it made a diffrence. So I can get my 7 dollars back lol

v2vera said:
kuruption109 said:
v2vera said:

New carb came with the on on the right. I know mine has the one on the left i just switched a few months ago. I was just wondering if it made a diffrence. So I can get my 7 dollars back lol
yep...

v2vera said:
OK so I know buick small blocks dont have a lot of umph. I want to build this one to have some balls? Is there any buick nuts on here that can point me in the right direction? What kind of head work do I need? Pistons? cam? or should I just drive as is till it blows lol

I have studied this motor for 4 months straight and if there is one fault that you need to be made aware of is the oiling system. I took my engine (similiar to what you did) and tore it apart. What I found is the front cam bearing gone, and all crankshaft and half the rod bearings shot. So, we did a complete rebuild with new pistons, recon rods, rings, 30 over, etc. I spent quite a bit of cash but I do have a brand new engine. It seems the failure was due to the oiling system.

If you do anything get a high volume oil pump, it is a must for this engine. I spent some time talking with Santos at TA performance. He explained much to me and after speaking with him I purchased the high volume, adjustable timing cover, which has a ported oil pump to cover assembly. Santos ports these himself. I also trashed the old 1/2" oil pickup tube and screen and purchased the 5/8" tube and screen from TA as well. I feel good thinking that the investment I made in the "heart" of this engine is as good as can be. I have 40 psi oil pressure at idle. I have Santos to thank for that. He said it would be 40 at idle and it sure is. I spent some more cash with Ken from everday performance in Connecticut. I purchased a q-jet and told him my set up. He built the carburetor to my specs. Let me tell you. It is a good rebuild. I purchased a comp cam 268 hi energy to give the engine some more umph. It does sound mean. It gives just enough roughness to make the car shake a bit. I also opted to replace the cast iron intake and go with the TA performance intake specially built for the 350. Definately badass.

Join the forum at V8buick as well. I have learned alot from hanging out there as well. Good luck with everything and if you have any questions give me a pm.

tobyp said:
v2vera said:
OK so I know buick small blocks dont have a lot of umph. I want to build this one to have some balls? Is there any buick nuts on here that can point me in the right direction? What kind of head work do I need? Pistons? cam? or should I just drive as is till it blows lol

I have studied this motor for 4 months straight and if there is one fault that you need to be made aware of is the oiling system. I took my engine (similiar to what you did) and tore it apart. What I found is the front cam bearing gone, and all crankshaft and half the rod bearings shot. So, we did a complete rebuild with new pistons, recon rods, rings, 30 over, etc. I spent quite a bit of cash but I do have a brand new engine. It seems the failure was due to the oiling system.

If you do anything get a high volume oil pump, it is a must for this engine. I spent some time talking with Santos at TA performance. He explained much to me and after speaking with him I purchased the high volume, adjustable timing cover, which has a ported oil pump to cover assembly. Santos ports these himself. I also trashed the old 1/2" oil pickup tube and screen and purchased the 5/8" tube and screen from TA as well. I feel good thinking that the investment I made in the "heart" of this engine is as good as can be. I have 40 psi oil pressure at idle. I have Santos to thank for that. He said it would be 40 at idle and it sure is. I spent some more cash with Ken from everday performance in Connecticut. I purchased a q-jet and told him my set up. He built the carburetor to my specs. Let me tell you. It is a good rebuild. I purchased a comp cam 268 hi energy to give the engine some more umph. It does sound mean. It gives just enough roughness to make the car shake a bit. I also opted to replace the cast iron intake and go with the TA performance intake specially built for the 350. Definately badass.

Join the forum at V8buick as well. I have learned alot from hanging out there as well. Good luck with everything and if you have any questions give me a pm.

Oh I will have a ton of questions! I have hear that as well about the oil pump. Right now Im just making the 4.1 run as well as I can . I just installed the new carb in my engine and man did it need it lol still not power but it gets up normally.

Its going to be a slow build due to the fact that I dont want to take this engine out until its on its last leg. This will give me time to save up for a good build and do things right. How many hp's did you get out of your engine after all you did to it?

v2vera said:
tobyp said:
v2vera said:

If you do anything get a high volume oil pump, it is a must for this engine. I spent some time talking with Santos at TA performance. He explained much to me and after speaking with him I purchased the high volume, adjustable timing cover, which has a ported oil pump to cover assembly. Santos ports these himself. I also trashed the old 1/2" oil pickup tube and

screen and purchased the 5/8" tube and screen from TA as well. I feel good thinking that the investment I madethe "heart" of this engine is as good as can be. I have 40 psi oil pressure at idle. I have Santos to thank for that. He said it would be 40 at idle and it sure is. I spent some more cash with Ken from everday performance in Connecticut. I purchased a q-jet and told him my set up. He built the carburetor to my specs. Let me tell you. It is a good rebuild. I purchased a comp cam 268 hi energy to give the engine some more umph. It does sound mean. It gives just enough roughness to make the car shake a bit. I also opted to replace the cast iron intake and go with the TA performance intake specially built for the 350. Definately badass.

Oh I will have a ton of questions! I have hear that as well about the oil pump. Right now Im just making the 4.1 run as well as I can . I just installed the new carb in my engine and man did it need it lol still not power but it gets up normally.

Its going to be a slow build due to the fact that I dont want to take this engine out until its on its last leg. This will give me time to save up for a good build and do things right. How many hp's did you get out of your engine after all you did to it?

I'll have to keep you posted. Right now I am just trying to get teh transmission in but there is a persisten oil pan leak that is keeping me from finishing. I putchased a Vicotor Reinz gasket today. Hopefully it will do the trick. I am estimated to hit a touch over 300hp

I'll have to keep you posted. Right now I am just trying to get teh transmission in but there is a persisten oil pan leak that is keeping me from finishing. I putchased a Vicotor Reinz gasket today. Hopefully it will do the trick. I am estimated to hit a touch over 300hp[/quote]

If I can get close to the 300hp mark I would be happy. I'n not going to be taking it to the strip or anything like that. I just want a fun street driver 🙂

I finally was able to borrow a hoist and take it over to the big homie Mel's house to put it on a stand. Good thing too. I had it sitting in the bed of my truck since I got it and it just happened to rain last night good timing 🙂 Today is my gf birthday so wont be getting nothing done this weekend, but will be cleaning it up as soon as I get the ok from the homie.

I didn't realize how big a sbb is compared to a sbc. Heres a few pics to compare.

Attachments

• Stand.JPG
    Stand.JPG
    656.7 KB · Views: 904
  • stand 2.JPG
    stand 2.JPG
    598.3 KB · Views: 894
Let me know when your ready to start on it big homie and I'll give you my schedule for that week! Can't wait to get that bad boy detailed out and in the car

melman109 said:
Let me know when your ready to start on it big homie and I'll give you my schedule for that week! Can't wait to get that bad boy detailed out and in the car

Well I have all weekends off and get off at 4 on weekdays. Except this weekend ofcourse lol Girls bday weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor