4.3 Vortec swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dream on mcss said:
BUT, if you could get this to work, you'd be able to put the six speed in the 4th gens behind it.
The 3800s have the 60* bellhousing and are mated to a T5. You could adapt a 6 speed but you'd probably need 4.56-4.88 gears in the rear to be able to pull 6th gear. I think the 3800 swap with/without supercharger would be a better swap than a 4.3. Sure, you'll be down on power compared to the 350, but at least it will actually get you some mpg gain. I've been told by guys who had the Camaro/Firebird with 3.8 that they will get high 20's if you have a light foot and keep it under 65mph. They are quite a bit more aerodynamic than a Gbody though.

The 3.6 timing chain issues are well documented. They are causing major fits in the dealership by setting random misfire codes that can't be "tuned away". I wouldn't consider it a viable swap option due to cost more than anything. Expensive to buy, expensive to install, expensive to tune. They are an impressive motor on paper. So is Ford's Ecoboost turbo V6. I think time will tell whether either will have any real lifespan. Any time you try to squeeze out a bunch of power from small displacement you can expect more trouble.

I am new to the site. So hopefully I can figure this out. I have the 4.3 vortec in my 81 malibu wagon. its from a 91 chevy 2500.(computer sits in passenger kick panel). with a 700r4. gear ratio is the 2.86 I think. Do I win any races? nope! only if its a vespa im lining up with!
I can say this, It is just a smooth running wagon. wasnt a big deal with the swap. Very simple. I didn't do anything to the motor. I think you are on the right track about turbo though.I was thinking the same thing.
There are quite a few sites that have some slick ideas.
http://www.junkyardturbos.com/Rear-Mount-Turbo.php (I know this will get some of the members talking)
http://www.tbichips.com/v6mods.htm
http://powertuneplus.com/syclone/stages.shtm
One big thing I noticed is the car drove hot and had a problem restarting the car after stops. I had to make a longer fan shroud to get it closer to the motor. 2nd big thing. Holy crap when the AC is on the car is a dog. If I turn on the ac it feels like i am on a plane and the pilot just turned the flaps down. ROFL :lol: But i think its because its an older unit.
third thing. Those darn freeze plugs I should have changed them. looked good during the switch.(my bad) (reccomended) change them. 4. with the lighter weight in the front I should have used a different moog spring.
what I like
1. gas mileage. In Phoenix I do half stop n go light driving and half freeway it is my daily driver. I have checked it numerous times and I avg anywhere between 21-24 mpg. When driving just straight freeway about 26.
2. just a cruiser nothing fancy
3. Still sounds like a v8 at idle.
I will include some pics of my car as I learn the web site.
3.8l turbo from a regal wouldnt be a bad choice either There is one here in a u-pull it from a 78 regal here in Phoenix.

Welcome. Due to your complete lack of punctuation, capitalization and basic grammar, I have no idea what you are trying to say/ask. You may have better luck starting a new thread with a clear title and properly composed question. Simply go into the appropriate section and click on the "NEWTOPIC" box on the left. There is also some helpful tips here viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13207 .

heres a 4.3 to 350 comparison for ya. not exactly apples to apples, and i never figured actual mpg but, here ya go....

back when i drove my malibu wagon daily, i would occasionally take a weekend trip up to muncie, IN to see my daughter. roughly 4.5hr drive. when i left home, id always fill up (18gal tank) at the same gas station just out of town (cheaper than in town). i could drive to muncie, drive around muncie all weekend, and stop to fill up as i hit the interstate to head back home. same trip in my 92 S10 blazer, fill up (20gal tank) at the same station as i head out of town, i would have to fill up as soon as i got to muncie before i even got to the hotel. notice that the blazer had a 2gal larger tank and didnt go as far as my wagon.

vehicle specs...
92 S10 blazer, 4door, 2WD, 4.3tbi, completely stock, ran great.
80 malibu wagon, stock bottom end '74 140hp 350, eddy performer cam, perf rpm intake, eddy 600 carb, headers, 2.5" flowmaster dual exhaust, completely stock trans and rear.

that being said, ive owned a few 4.3s and theyve been completely reliable. id take advice from others and detune your 355 if needed

DRIVEN said:
Welcome. Due to your complete lack of punctuation, capitalization and basic grammar, I have no idea what you are trying to say/ask. You may have better luck starting a new thread with a clear title and properly composed question. Simply go into the appropriate section and click on the "NEWTOPIC" box on the left. There is also some helpful tips here http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13207 .

Sorry "Driven". I am not sure if you were meaning that towards me or not if you were, I'm sorry. I was simply making a post about the person wanting to put a 4.3 in his vehicle. If not "Party On!"

Lets keep it civil guys

lepewwagon said:
Sorry "Driven". I am not sure if you were meaning that towards me or not if you were, I'm sorry. I was simply making a post about the person wanting to put a 4.3 in his vehicle. If not "Party On!"
Lepewwagon- welcome to you too. Not directed at you in any way :lol: . Your post was exactly the kind of response that the OP was probably looking for. You clearly explained your opinion using facts from your own personal experience. More importantly, it was on topic. Sorry if I offended anyone with my statements. Just trying to help.

well what about the 4.3s that are in the 2000- 2012 Chevy Silverados how are they.im know thinking of the same thing because my 1980 monte carlo came with the turbo carb 3.8 and i really thinking about getting one of those

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor