$4 gas & your g-body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
I suppose if you get an LS engine including FI intake, injectors computer & wireing harness etc from the salvage yard you could also grab the hanger pump sending unit etc from the fuel tank. You could then get an aftermarket Buick Grand National tank which I think are like $300 or less. You still would have to modify the hanger pump assembly to fit in the GN tank. The deal is not turn key yet or cheap but its definately getting easier.

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
Vern said:
No we don't need a 4th gen LS1 car to accomplish these goals as we have already posted some cars / combos that have met or exceeded the goals. No I don't need to re-read your posts or care less. "So your only choice is to take a hit on gas and build a gen 1 350, or take a hit in the wallet and build an LS1 gbody." I think we have clearly proven that to be false.

you havent 5mpg means nothing, I thought you were going for 20+ 14 or 15 mpg is atainable on most set ups.
You can build a 9.5:1 engine (atleast 300hp) that gets 15mpg with an overdrive trans and run 3.23s and probably hit 13s with it in a 3500lb car (fuel and driver)

I thought you wanted 20+ mpg.
meh.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
You are forgetting what is the big drawback to the OE EFI. It will not work properly unless you have the chipped ignition key, and it needs the VSS signal from the trans which also runs the speedo in LSX powered factory installs. it may not even start without the key, as it is a part of the passive anti-theft systems in newer GM cars. The MSD box and carb'd intake is NOT a cheap alternative either. I believe they cost around $800 as a package deal, but it may be a little less or more, I can't find it in my Summit catalog right now. Also, then there's the power steering pump to contend with and custom hoses that will need to be fabbed, the A/C compressor ( which there is no factory way of getting rid of that I am aware of) and it's hoses, if it's a Corvette engine, that is throttle by wire and must be converted, etc. Then there is the electric cooling fans, and upgraded radiator with the right fittings for an LSX. Plus, don't discount the costs associated with the EFI's fuel lines and return lines either. It is in the little things that the LSX is expensive. Yes, you could run a cheap stand alone ECU line the Megasquirt/ Spectre EMS-Pro, or the Greddy Emanage, but those still will cost you a bunch of cash as well ( $300 for a basic Megasquirt, $900 for the EMS-Pro, and around the same for the Greddy). Plus, some of them do not include ignition circuits to run an 8 coil pack ignition, so you need to buy upgrades to do so. I love the LSX engines and wish I could do one for my car, but I see total costs of around $5,000 at minimum, not $2,000 when all is said and done. If you can prove me wrong, fine. Go do it and post the price of every single little part and piece required to make it work properly. I'll admit I am wrong if it can be proven.

R/T kota

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2007
Hamilton Ontario
Just Karter said:
BTW a Stock LS1 in an fbody which weighs about the same as a gbody is a 14 second car, so your not going 13.5 without mods.

Stock LS1 camaros with no mods and a good tire are good for mid to low 13s.
There was a guy who put a 5.3 in a fox mustang with a little head porting and a 100 shot of spray and runs in the 11s.
Those engines have lots of potential and the cost is not that bad.
Can even buy a carb kit for them to make the swap easier although not sure how much that effects the millage.
Also check out this fairmont with a stock 5.3 and a turbo. pretty impresive if you ask me.
It won its class in drag week. http://www.1320video.com/4.13Fairmont.php

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
You are forgetting what is the big drawback to the OE EFI. It will not work properly unless you have the chipped ignition key, and it needs the VSS signal from the trans which also runs the speedo in LSX powered factory installs. it may not even start without the key, as it is a part of the passive anti-theft systems in newer GM cars. The MSD box and carb'd intake is NOT a cheap alternative either. I believe they cost around $800 as a package deal, but it may be a little less or more, I can't find it in my Summit catalog right now. Also, then there's the power steering pump to contend with and custom hoses that will need to be fabbed, the A/C compressor ( which there is no factory way of getting rid of that I am aware of) and it's hoses, if it's a Corvette engine, that is throttle by wire and must be converted, etc. Then there is the electric cooling fans, and upgraded radiator with the right fittings for an LSX. Plus, don't discount the costs associated with the EFI's fuel lines and return lines either. It is in the little things that the LSX is expensive. Yes, you could run a cheap stand alone ECU line the Megasquirt/ Spectre EMS-Pro, or the Greddy Emanage, but those still will cost you a bunch of cash as well ( $300 for a basic Megasquirt, $900 for the EMS-Pro, and around the same for the Greddy). Plus, some of them do not include ignition circuits to run an 8 coil pack ignition, so you need to buy upgrades to do so. I love the LSX engines and wish I could do one for my car, but I see total costs of around $5,000 at minimum, not $2,000 when all is said and done. If you can prove me wrong, fine. Go do it and post the price of every single little part and piece required to make it work properly. I'll admit I am wrong if it can be proven.

Can we just call you Opie since we dont know your name? Lol.. I never claimed it would cost $2000-you did! I said $800 for a turnkey LS and $700 for the pan/install mounts. And that I would not invest that $1500 in a Gen I for the same old tech. If you would/did - fine, you don't have to justify it to me. :roll:

Lots of folks have done the swap, if you want the specs then do the research! Thats what I plan to do when I'm ready. I proposed a plan for at least 15mpg and mid 13's thats actually streetable. Thats what the threads all about - not some piss contest on what can be done for how much.

There's a guy on LS1tech who reprograms for the swap. Theres no factory way to get rid of an AC compressor? What?? Thats a new one to me! lol There is a guy on MCSS.com that has an LS1 with no heat or air.

Yes I'm sure you'll have to custom fab things (like coolant hoses and power steerting hoses-big deal), last I heard it's called 'Hot Rodding!'

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
R/T kota said:
Just Karter said:
BTW a Stock LS1 in an fbody which weighs about the same as a gbody is a 14 second car, so your not going 13.5 without mods.

Stock LS1 camaros with no mods and a good tire are good for mid to low 13s.
There was a guy who put a 5.3 in a fox mustang with a little head porting and a 100 shot of spray and runs in the 11s.
Those engines have lots of potential and the cost is not that bad.
Can even buy a carb kit for them to make the swap easier although not sure how much that effects the millage.
Also check out this fairmont with a stock 5.3 and a turbo. pretty impresive if you ask me.
It won its class in drag week. http://www.1320video.com/4.13Fairmont.php

Stock ls1s turn 13.80s and 13.90s.
LOL

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
85 Cutlass Brougham said:

^ I need to move in next door and repeatidly tap you for knowledge regularly haha

Good info.

R/T kota

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2007
Hamilton Ontario
Just Karter said:
LOL

I'll be sure to tell that to my friend with his 12.90 fire bird.
I didnt know you could get a full second out of just a cold air and exhaust. :roll:

Do some more research.
Car craft ran a stock LS1 98 or 99 camaro with a slick at 13.00.

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
R/T kota said:
Just Karter said:
LOL

I didnt know you could get a full second out of just a cold air and exhaust. :roll:

Do some more research.
a slick isnt a "good tire". its a Racing slick
And you can tell your friend, stock birds run 13.80.
I know a few people with ls1 birds.
I'm sure he will tell you the same

its 280rwhp for a stock ls1 thats not enough to push a 3400lb car 13 seconds.

Yes slicks exaust and cold air itnake are good for a second in the 1/4 mile.
NOOB.

R/T kota

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2007
Hamilton Ontario
Just Karter said:
R/T kota said:
Just Karter said:
LOL

Do some more research.
a slick isnt a "good tire". its a Racing slick
And you can tell your friend, stock birds run 13.80.
I know a few people with ls1 birds.
I'm sure he will tell you the same

its 280rwhp for a stock ls1 thats not enough to push a 3400lb car 13 seconds.

Yes slicks exaust and cold air itnake are good for a second in the 1/4 mile.
NOOB.

Excuse me?? You calling me a noob.
I grew up at the drag strip and have many friends with ls1 powered cars.
I've been into this stuff for well over 20 years (probably longer than you have been alive) and I think I know what these cars run.
Hell I worked the tech lane a the track almost 20 years ago.
Anyone who judges a cars potential on a stock tire with no side wall is a noob.
How many times have you seen some one turn a crap time at the track and then say if I only had a tire. Put a tire on it and take that out of the equation.
Think before you go calling some one a noob
One example would be my friend stock ls1 98 formula. On the stock tire it was running 13.6 spinning bad, and this was back in 98. Nothing touched on the car at all.
Put a decent street tire on it and was 13.20 all day long. Still no mods.
If a car can run low 13s on a slick, than it does have enough power to run that number now don't it. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor