4 speed manual vs th350

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
nope im ordering that stuff next. i do have the bell housing inbound though. my headers will work with the manual linkage though.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
i absolutely cannot wait.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
well i picked up that m20 today. all i can say is it was def worth the 10 hour roundtrip. this thing is even cleaner than the pictures showed. so im a super stoked.cant wait to get the rest of the parts to get this thing together.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Sounds good. Sometimes you gotta go above and beyond to get something good, and if you snooze- you lose.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
im ecstatic about it. now just to figure out which shifter to use.

grabbed this from doober:

r 391 6848, same body but uses stick 538 6836 (538 8009 can likely be used since it's the same body), and installation kit 373 7897

but i do not know which stick would work better.

in the coming weeks i will order the pedal/linkage kit and then flywheel, clutch and shifter. then it will all go in the car and afterwards i will have to figure out a carb situation.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
can someone tell me what the plug is coming out from below the front shift fork? looks like some sort of vent.

21280860-413-MUNCIE-M20-FINE-SPLINE-TRANSMISSION.jpg

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That should be the electrical grounding connector for the vacuum solenoid that only allows timing advance in high gear, I think GM called it TCS or Transmission Controlled Spark. Another boneheaded early emissions application. That would date the trans to around 1972 or so. Looking back at the other pics I don't see a similar plug for reverse, which means no backup light switch on the trans. Now you will need to locate the linkage actuated reverse lights switch, I think Summit has it.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
ok so not something i need to worry about at all then? i have been trying to figure it out all last night with no luck. would it be best to leave it or remove it and plug it? anything else i should go ahead and do like install a new tail shaft seal? also any fluid recommendations? ive heard about redline MT-90 and royal purple max gear. and only run gl-4 lubes and not the gl-5. and correct me if i am wrong but something along the lines of 1.5qts? and 80w-90 or 75w-90? the syns all seem to be 75w-90.

anyways im getting closer. only thing left now is pedal and linkages, clutch fork, flywheel, clutch and shifter. but at least i am making headway. and once my piston rings come in (hopefully today) i will begin building the motor. God it feels so good to be making headway.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
Bonnewagon is right, GM started using those in 1970 that I know of, may have been sooner in CA, but don't know that for sure. That system was an early casualty with most hot rodders. It really effected drive ability and mpg as much or more than performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor