454 bbc worth it or waist of time honest opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think ima pik it up by tonight thanks every1 ill get some piks up soon

say i do go throttle body injected do i need to change anything on my existing fuel system i remember when i put a fuel injected lt1 in my last 83 malibu i had to change the fuel system since its pressurized is the same required for tbi

You would need an electric fuel pump but nothing special. I am unsure of the exact number but I bet it is under 20psi.

im doin a bbc in my 81 monte as we speak
theres a few things you may want to check out
1 headers over exhaust manifolds
2 fuel delivery
3 rear end
4 front springs
5 A/C
6 transmission

find out all of that and your good. i had to think long and hard about that stuff as i took the car apart and started fabbin stuff up

This link should help give you some info and options on a fuel system. Only no need for a return style fuel pressure regulator for your needs.viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34546

RITTER said:
You can have plenty of power for a street car with that TBI and better fuel economy along with it :idea: I would grab that thing up ... swap the camshaft out ... possibly have the heads ported on a bit ... and have a performance chip or flash (which ever they do for the TBI computers) and have a blast with that big block 8)
X2.

Years ago, I had dropped a 454 engine from a truck into my 1981 Grand Prix. They are low compression and oval port heads (high performance heads have rectangular ports for more air-flow). Regardless, once I got it running smoothly in the car, she was a beast, without any mods. I remember driving around smoking the tires, she'd jump and move. I had planned on putting some aluminum heads and a mild cam into it, but before I got that far, the car got stolen.

So it's a great start and you have no limits after its in the car.

[edit: Oh yeah... hence my nick on here "454muscle" -- it stuck with me.]

does anyone on here have a tbi 454 in a g body just curious

You would need the same fuel system that is equipped in a 4.3L TBI Monte Carlo. Very simple and factory reliability :mrgreen:

is it possible to keep the AC setup with a big block? thinking of going that route but i dont want have to make the lady sweat like a dog just to cruise.

ok so i got the motor and transmission and wiring harness comp n all today i threw it in the bak of my wagon and pushed off to our new house with a garage good way to start the new year 454 in a new garage but there is some bad news i dented up the floor in the wagon rear but no worries i have two extra more good news last night i helped my dad clean out his storage and i got a few goodies a quick change rear end narrowed too so i might just add that to my project and some large oval port heads and carbs and some other crap but thats the most exiting i kno everyone said keep it a daily driver with tbi but now i have these heads that flow way better and are rebuilt i might just get a performer intake cam headers carb and take it from there but well see
5I55V05He3G23M83pdbco723e85f2c95e1d5d.jpg

5Id5K25J73K53Me3J2bcod2f0ca99a39316f4.jpg

IMG_20120119_130814.jpg

IMG_20120119_130822.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor