455 Olds what radiator????

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutlassJ

Greasemonkey
Oct 30, 2008
Northwest Suburbs IL
Ok guys need some help. I have been running an aluminum g-body parts.com radiator with my big block cause at the time which was a few years ago now, the price was the best i could afford. But its not cutting it the car runs hot and if there is traffic for get about it. So what are you guys with big block oldsmobiles running? I want to stick with an aluminum radiator because I like the weight saveings. thanks for the help

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i put my 455 in about 15 years ago. there weren't any inexpensive radiators made in aluminum at that time for gbody cars. so i measured up the space and got a generic radiator from a company called northern. its a double row of 1" tube. i had to fab up hold downs for the top of the radiator. and it has worked flawlessly.
i think there are more choices today. and better prices. i hope some else will provide more updated info.
joe

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
In my Monte I am running a Griffen Dominator radiator 31" x 19" with 2 x 1.25" tubes along with Intreped fans and it cools my street driven BBC without issues.
In my 86' Regal I bought a 3 row Champion radiator that will eventually be cooling a 350 horse SBC

IMG_1411.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

CutlassJ

Greasemonkey
Oct 30, 2008
Northwest Suburbs IL
i put my 455 in about 15 years ago. there weren't any inexpensive radiators made in aluminum at that time for gbody cars. so i measured up the space and got a generic radiator from a company called northern. its a double row of 1" tube. i had to fab up hold downs for the top of the radiator. and it has worked flawlessly.
i think there are more choices today. and better prices. i hope some else will provide more updated info.
jo

Ya thanks me too. Ill keep that in mind

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I run a stock 307 one from a mid 80's 4door cutlass about 1 1/4 thick I think I know it's two rows I paid 55.00 for it from the junk yard It looked almost new I have a shroud that covers the entire radiator and run fans from a Plymouth breeze runs between 180 and 200 depending how hot it is outside

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Here is the Champion 3 row radiator I put in my 86' Regal with the current 307 it fit without modifications other than needing larger hoses.

IMG_1931.JPG

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
In my Monte I am running a Griffen Dominator radiator 31" x 19" with 2 x 1.25" tubes along with Intreped fans and it cools my street driven BBC without issues.
In my 86' Regal I bought a 3 row Champion radiator that will eventually be cooling a 350 horse SBC

View attachment 66809 [/QUOTE
Does the quality look good on the champion? I've seen mixed reviews on them but the pricing looks good

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The quality of the Champion seems pretty good, the polished finish is not show quality but looks decent enough until I put the new engine in.
I wanted something that fit without issues, was made completely out of aluminum and had a built in trans cooler and the Champion did that.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If the rad was cooling the engine for a few years I'd check the system and flush it before I spend money on a new rad. It could be a simple as the thermostat isn't opening fully or the cooling fan has a problem

• Agree
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The champion 3 core fits well but is not big enough for a 455, marginal with my low compression 403. There is a member on here with a 10 to 1 Olds 403 with the Champion 4 core, says it easily cools his car, should work for yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor