442 7.5 rear frankenstien.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
Unless you have all the factory brackets, converting it to Olds is more difficult now unfortunately. I assume there is conversion lifters but there are good flat tappet cams as well, tons for the sbc. I gained half a second just bumping compression and adding flow with ported, big valve heads, similar to the Vortec without modern combustion chambers, along with a custom tune Qjet carb. If I would have swapped in a 220ish duration cam vs the too small 204/214 cam, it wouldn't have pinged and ran a second faster. I got my *ss handed to me till my last year, actually won a few. You need more compression and cam, along with the stall you are planning on. Remember, you will be close to 4000 pounds, 500 pounds heavier then even a stock Fox body Mustang. I was going to gut my 88 for the weight reduction. If you do, members may be interested with your car's, it being a 442. Plus you have the much more bullet proof 8.5" rear. I broke the 7.5" twice, slicks take their toll on weak parts.
She has been on a bit of a diet. No A/C, Cruise, Wipers, Spartan interior, I thought that Curb weight was 34xx and me about 200. I ought to get her weighed though. I have some stuff left,
maybe the Stall speed will be ok, Concerns about Spinning the tires, ( 2,02 best 60')
As far as cams go, you are spot on about the 204/214. Its a Summit K1102. It is still in the box, is this still too small? Would it be better suited to my current heads? how about 1.6 rockers?
After reading some Summit Crate engine Specs, its definitely smaller than their 350HO
I am curious about what a stock 5.7 Vortec truck came with .

Starting to feel like I didn't know as much about building a good , reliable, optimal, consistent car as i thought I did. I estimated on the conservative side for Cam and Converter.
I suppose I will keep it as is and iron out the shift points. then start looking at where the changes really need to be made for optimal running. I can move forward with bigger power to go faster once i have gotten the
whole concept of bracket racing with this car fully understood. I am humbled by the knowledge that you guys have and grateful that you share it with me.

For now, , I am just excited to be going down the track!

Last edited:

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I am curious about what a stock 5.7 Vortec truck came with .
Here’s a hint.....
42032FBE-3781-4CFE-8C76-71096D7FE516.jpeg

:rofl:

Whatever you do with cams, avoid getting wrapped up in peak numbers. Vortecs begin to crash (flow worse) at around .500 valve lift. A cam with more duration than average will serve these heads better IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The 204/214 is a small cam, no more than 9.5 to 1 compression. If you get 9+ to 1 with Vortec heads, go with more like 220+ duration, then a shorter slick and more stall makes sense. My 88 Cutlass Supreme Classic Brougham weighed 3780 plus me. The 442 will weigh similar, remember a Salon interior. The 307 HO was no powerhouse but these loaded, well padded Oldsmobile cars were heavy and only made them seen even more gutless.

Reactions: 1 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Starting to feel like I didn't know as much about building a good , reliable, optimal, consistent car as i thought I did. I estimated on the conservative side for Cam and Converter.
I suppose I will keep it as is and iron out the shift points. then start looking at where the changes really need to be made for optimal running. I can move forward with bigger power to go faster once i have gotten the
whole concept of bracket racing with this car fully understood. I am humbled by the knowledge that you guys have and grateful that you share it with me.

It sounds like you have been bitten buy the racing bug. I think you are right on track with your thoughts about keep it as is, get the problems ironed out and get time in the seat. You will have all winter to decide and make changes to the car. You don't have to spent tons of money there are enough production parts out there to get you well into the 13's. Since your car is race only you need to be taking bigger bites when buying parts, that converter should have been 3000 +

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Don't be concerned about spinning .
Agreed, while 2.02 isn't great, try a 2.8. My 403 with a 2400 stall with BFG's spun a stupid amount, 2.6 to 2.8. Problem with a 3000 stall and his current motor is it will shoot him past his useable power band and probably run slower.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Agreed, while 2.02 isn't great, try a 2.8. My 403 with a 2400 stall with BFG's spun a stupid amount, 2.6 to 2.8. Problem with a 3000 stall and his current motor is it will shoot him past his useable power band and probably run slower.

If you look @ a HP curve of a low hp sbc from 3000 to 4500 is max power. I realize the torque peaks around 3000 but with low hp and a generic 3000 converter I doubt if you'll get more than 2000 stall which leaves room for higher HP. With his trans shifting @ low rpms his ET is lower which tells he isn't past his usable power band. I think you know your BFG's were not the right tires and probably could use some suspension work. I run the 28x10.5 drag radials and have no spin issues.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
If you look @ a HP curve of a low hp sbc from 3000 to 4500 is max power. I realize the torque peaks around 3000 but with low hp and a generic 3000 converter I doubt if you'll get more than 2000 stall which leaves room for higher HP. With his trans shifting @ low rpms his ET is lower which tells he isn't past his usable power band. I think you know your BFG's were not the right tires and probably could use some suspension work. I run the 28x10.5 drag radials and have no spin issues.
Absolutely, I hit the same 2.0 60 ft just going to a 26×10.5-15 slick. I guess the sbc has much weaker low end torque. Even my 8 to 1 Olds motors hit at least mid way on the stall rating. Yeah, a 2000 stall will work.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
My current 2200 to 2500 stall flashes to 2350 with a 9 to 1 Olds 350 with 2 low cylinders and a 214/214 cam as an example.

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
Well, Guys, I just came in from the garage. I made some progress, At least now my Trans Cooler lines shouldn't leak! ( It was a problem that never got resolved, Tonight I snaked a set of lines from and other trans up through and snugged them in.)
I tried setting up the TV cable, but at first it would only move about 1/4 inch. so I assumed that it was hung up I dropped the pan and found that the actuator lever was jammed past the plunger! I had to unbolt it and move it around to set it back into place.! I have the cable from another 200 4r and i installed it, but i dont know how I am going to get it to set up right. I grabbed the bracket off the QJet, but the cable doesnt seem to have enough movement. I will be looking into what brackets i can get. or see how i can make what I have work. I do have a few different brackets around , but i am sure that the are for a Th350 Kickdown.

Otherwise, the Torque converter gets here Wednesday, I can swap in the 350 and run that this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor