7 blade fan good upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
A fixed fan basically exes out any performance gain you may have realized by putting a 403 in your car to begin with.

Could put an auxiliary electric fan on the front. Use a heavy duty switch to control the relay and source the power from a circuit that's only on with the ignition so if you forget to turn it off then it won't matter.

Can keep a fan that has some concession to economy/performance and give it that little extra cooling capacity when needed without reverting to 1890s technology.
So it draws 50 hp and 75 ft/lbs of torque?

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
My understanding for a solid fan, the GM copy doesn't draw that much power.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
My understanding for a solid fan, the GM copy doesn't draw that much power.
In engine dyno testing, it was a lot of power it sapped. it may cool the best, but this isn't the 1940s. pretend it's the 1980s. I do all the time. :D

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Rewatched that video, a standard 350 sbc (center bolt valve covers, aluminum heads, intake, headers, small cam, etc) that makes 408ftlbs at 3900, and 349hp at 5200. It gave up 8ftlbs and 14hp with an 18" 6 blade clutch fan. Ain't gonna miss that, nor feel it.
As said, the worst fan they tested was an 18" 6 blade solid fan. killed 20ftlbs and 30.4hp.

Let it be known, they tested the fans with a shroud and in front of a radiator.
enginemastersfan.JPG

This pic was with the clutch fan, but it shows their setup the best.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
In engine dyno testing, it was a lot of power it sapped. it may cool the best, but this isn't the 1940s. pretend it's the 1980s. I do all the time. :D
What did that 4 blade draw, can't see the video? Then why not go electric, that started in the 80's. That is what makes my 260 so powerful, we are talking almost 307 power with the serpentine belt, electric fans and tuned exhaust.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
What did that 4 blade draw, can't see the video? Then why not go electric, that started in the 80's. That is what makes my 260 so powerful, we are talking almost 307 power with the serpentine belt, electric fans and tuned exhaust.
For fairness, all the fans in the test were 18" six blades.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
For fairness, all the fans in the test were 18" six blades.
This fixed fan is supposed to draw less than other fixed fans and move a lot of air. I want to say it draws similar power to the 6 or 7 blade clutch fan. I believe people have dynoed it, dirt track guys use them a lot, I believe as they are reliable and little can go wrong with them. Just like how much hp is drawn by 40 amp electric fans? Anything less just doesn't cut it for cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor