72 Beetle project

Market the whole project to your wife as either a new commuter ride to beat the cost of gas or as school ride for your son when he hits 16.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users
Market the whole project to your wife as either a new commuter ride to beat the cost of gas or as school ride for your son when he hits 16.

Nick
You hit the nail on the head. I’m going to park the beetle by my neighbors garage while I get the GP on the road. If he’s still interested after, we’ll build it. If he isn’t, it’s going down the road.

Maybe consider letting him work on it by himself to some degree. Fenders and panels look to need some wet and dry love, lay some 180 on him and let him have at it, An hour of sanding on a regular basis and a fast coat of foo-foo bomb primer to cover the clean spots and keep them from flash rusting. If his level of enthusiasm is as high as you say, he'll put in the sweat equity because he's smart enough to understand and appreciate that it will earn him bragging rights with his buds.

Just a thought.

Nick

Reactions: 2 users
Yep. Shed and attic have quite a bit as well. I’m looking to add a second shed for some of the non car stuff that’s in the garage. I also have the GP at my friends shop at the moment.
Seems as though we could never have enough storage, even though the solution is to start weening off stuff. We're all guilty of hoarding to a certain extent.

Reactions: 2 users
Pulled the plugs tonight, they’re terrible. Dropped the oil screen, and a bunch of metal rocks came out. I’d say she was done for a while before I came along. I guess now I know why it was sitting for 18 years.

Attachments

• IMG_8679.jpeg
    IMG_8679.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • 71331360079__1C52C0C4-4D64-4743-AD9E-8DE13B55A5F9.jpeg
    71331360079__1C52C0C4-4D64-4743-AD9E-8DE13B55A5F9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8682.jpeg
    IMG_8682.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 64
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I was able to get the brakes functioning with just 2 new rear wheel cylinders. Thanks to Vice grip garage for reminding me to spin the wheel cylinder rather than snapping the fittings off of the lines.

Reactions: 5 users
Supposed to pick this parts car up this weekend. Supposedly there’s actually another person interested in it, but I find it hard to believe. Front end is actually better than mine, and the engine cover is better as well. Engine is locked up, but I’m hoping the case is better than mine. We’ll see what happens on Saturday.

Attachments

• IMG_8791.png
    IMG_8791.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8790.png
    IMG_8790.png
    11.7 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8789.png
    IMG_8789.png
    12 MB · Views: 71
Reactions: 4 users
Parts car looks horrible but hopefully the parts you need pan out. Vw bottom ends are pretty stout. Hopefully it's just rusty rings in the iron cylinders.

Parts car looks horrible but hopefully the parts you need pan out. Vw bottom ends are pretty stout. Hopefully it's just rusty rings in the iron cylinders.
I assure you it’s horrible. My hope is that the rust is what parked it, then the engine locked up. Rusty cylinders are better than the locked bottom end I have presently. Either way the price is good enough for the other parts I need.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor