72 Beetle project

Ahhhh, points ignition, those were the days. On Saturdays all the Dads would be doing points, condenser, cap and rotor, in the driveways. The kids would be gophers. 'get me a flashlight, screwdriver, can-o-beer......' That is how we learned.
How to do the points, drink beer, or cuse?

Reactions: 1 user
How to do the points, drink beer, or cuse?
Like this.............................................................................................................................................................................................
ada40fac01082272d7d04e4a9f06c447.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Finished the last parts of the 36 ford. When the owner came to get them he gave me a couple sets of new plug wires and a nice rear view mirror. Now that the car is gone I can start messing with this car and the GP.

Reactions: 4 users
So the car had zero brakes when I got it. I threw some fluid in about a week ago and pumped the pedal, nothing. The other night I hit the pedal and it felt like something. Three solid pumps, and the left front is operational, the other three are locked up tight. So here we are. Haven’t made it run yet, but I have to fix the brakes so I can move the car, no worries at all though.
This car is such a light hearted project for me. I enjoy letting my son get excited to do anything on the car. And I can let him do pretty much whatever he wants, then rein him in, since the car is a POS. The plus is that since, even though I was a VW mechanic, I know nothing about air cooled stuff, so we’re learning together.

Attachments

• IMG_8652.jpeg
    IMG_8652.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8655.jpeg
    IMG_8655.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 68
Reactions: 7 users
Reactions: 3 users
I managed to get the front brakes operational today. The rear needs new cylinders, so I ordered them. Funny that rear are newer but are seized worse than the front.
I messed around with a little body work in the left fender. It had a half inch of filler on it that was completely unnecessary. Im looking for a set of earlier fenders but, if worse comes to worse I’m fixing these.

Attachments

• IMG_8655.jpeg
    IMG_8655.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8657.jpeg
    IMG_8657.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8658.jpeg
    IMG_8658.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 72
Reactions: 8 users
I managed to get the front brakes operational today. The rear needs new cylinders, so I ordered them. Funny that rear are newer but are seized worse than the front.
I messed around with a little body work in the left fender. It had a half inch of filler on it that was completely unnecessary. Im looking for a set of earlier fenders but, if worse comes to worse I’m fixing these.
It always amazes me how people get carried away with the body filler rather than trying to bump out the dents, and if necessary, use a minimum amount of filler.
Your garage looks like mine....filled to rafters with all types of stuff. :confused:

Reactions: 1 users
It always amazes me how people get carried away with the body filler rather than trying to bump out the dents, and if necessary, use a minimum amount of filler.
Your garage looks like mine....filled to rafters with all types of stuff. :confused:
Yep. Shed and attic have quite a bit as well. I’m looking to add a second shed for some of the non car stuff that’s in the garage. I also have the GP at my friends shop at the moment.

Reactions: 1 user
My neighbor came by tonight and we got the car to fire up. It ran for about 30 seconds, started knocking a bit, and stalled. I put a little more gas down the carb, but it was cranking slow, then stopped. The negative cable started smoking so I stopped everything. So either the starter is stuck, not likely, or the engine is junk, most likely. We shall see. Either way it’s getting pushed outside for the GP when I come back from vacation.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor