72 Beetle project

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Back in the day these cars were all over the place and parts were plentiful. I would try soaking the pistons and cylinders with penetrating oil. Like Driven ^ said, the rings could be rusty and stuck to the cylinders or just rusty cylinder walls. You'd probably end up scrapping the pistons and barrels anyway once you get the engine freed up.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Thinking of Marvel Mystery Oil, or Kroil, the oil that creeps. Either/or down the spark plug ports and wait for a bit, then put a breaker bar on the crank nut and try to rock the crank. Lather/rinse/repeat for a few cycles to see if the reciprocating assembly pops free. The pistons and rings might prove to be un-useable but you don't break things trying to get the barrels off.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thinking of Marvel Mystery Oil, or Kroil, the oil that creeps. Either/or down the spark plug ports and wait for a bit, then put a breaker bar on the crank nut and try to rock the crank. Lather/rinse/repeat for a few cycles to see if the reciprocating assembly pops free. The pistons and rings might prove to be un-useable but you don't break things trying to get the barrels off.

Nick
Yeah, I would try that first. Hopefully the crank and rods are in still in usable shape and not a hulk of crusty metal.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Proud owner of this pile. Was a fight to get it loaded with the help of a kubota with forks. Once on I noticed the trailer had a flat tire. When I put the spare on, I noticed it wasn’t exactly round, and I had an hour drive home. Once on the road, the tire was wobbling like crazy, so I had to find a shop to fix the flat tire. Luckily, it was just a bad valve, so a quick fix, and I was back in business.
Front clip, and rear engine cover are in better shape than mine. Going to pull the engine and some other parts and off to be put out of her misery.

Attachments

• IMG_8819.jpeg
    IMG_8819.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 57
Reactions: 7 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I would remove as many usable parts and hardware as I can.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Spent my Labor Day morning stripping down this parts car. Turns out the hood and left fender were a little more rusted than what I first thought. Looks like I’ll be combining them with the stuff on mine to make good parts. The deck lid is better than mine. I have the column and passenger rear glass claimed. Also the metal that holds the convertible top on the car body. Still have to pull the engine before sending here to her final resting place.
My son is gung-ho to do this car. I’ve included him at a show over the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_8868.jpeg
    IMG_8868.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8867.jpeg
    IMG_8867.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8866.jpeg
    IMG_8866.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8865.jpeg
    IMG_8865.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8837.jpeg
    IMG_8837.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8833.jpeg
    IMG_8833.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8830.jpeg
    IMG_8830.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8829.jpeg
    IMG_8829.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8828.jpeg
    IMG_8828.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 55
Reactions: 6 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
So I sold a few parts off of the car today, and I actually made my cash outlay back. My gas and labor, I’m still waiting for.
I did swap the steering wheel onto my bug. Although I had to massage the wiper control a little to fit the older style wheel. My son approves of the wheel, and he added the original to his steering wheel collection. He’s up to 3 now.

Attachments

• IMG_8907.jpeg
    IMG_8907.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 50
Reactions: 6 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor