76 Vega w/ 231

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprottrod

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2007
Sprott, Missouri
I got a 76 Vega with a 231 and a 4 speed. The car has eldebrock performer RPM style intake, a mild cam, and long tubes. My problem is with the carb. It has a 600 cfm afb and it is flooding it out. It runs but its washed the rings, Oil gets thin in about a week. Was wondering if a 2 barrel holley would be better. Some thing like a 325 cfm. Thanks for any replies.

Nightmare388

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2007
North West IL
You should check to see if the carb is adjusted right also check to see if the floats are adjusted right.The 600 shouldn't be to big for it. I would take it to a good shop and have them tune it for you.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
Sprottrod said:
I can put the carb on my malibu to see if it ran like a turd with it on there and it did fine. But thats a mild 350 also. Thinking about just small blocking the car. Had one once before, was good fun.

the 600 is much too big for it!! u need a 350 or 500 holley 2bbl tops!! hell if you ran a q-jet it probably wouldnt ever use the back 2 barrels!

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
the math at 6500rpm and 100%VE works out to 435CFM. to need a 600cfm carb you'd have to turn 9000rpms!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The thing is, it should not be doing what you describe. It is an air valve secondary carb like a Q-Jet and the back barrels will not pull open without enough vacuum pulling on them. GM used Q-Jets on 231's back in the day, so it is not that out of the question to make it work properly. If it is really that rich, you probably need to replace the step up springs with the weakest pair. This will maximize the time the power piston stays in the down position and lean out the part throttle circuit. If it is still too rich, you can change the metering rods to a leaner set, or even go to leaner jets as a last resort. A spring assortment is around $10 and available from Edlebrock ( it's pretty much the same carb as a Performer 600), so try that first. I would also look at the booster venturis at idle. If it is really screwed up, they will be dripping fuel, a sign that the primary circuit needs some attention. Remember that a 231 will need a leaner part throttle calibration than a 350 simply because the fuel needs of a larger engine are greater. Most universal 600 cfm carbs are calibrated to run well enough on a mild 350, not an engine 120 ci smaller. You may also need to figure out how to lean out the idle feed restriction like people do on a Holley 3310, but I tend to think it will not be necessary. Also, what is the model number of this carb? Are you sure it is a 600 and not a 525? There was even a 400-450cfm variant available back in the day for dual 4 apps, IIRC.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I ran a similar setup in a 75 Buick Skyhawk and it was really mean!

I think your carb is too big. A max of 500 works well on the Buick V6, even with a nasty cam and headers. I ran a stock two barrell intake and used a 2GC carb from a 305 Chevy. I could easily beat 305 powered Camaros and Firebirds!

I also have had that oil dilution problem from a bad mechanical fuel pump putting little bits of gas into the oil while running....

The easiest swap for you is a Buick small block (you probably already know that) but I went a different route by just a hair. I had a 1979 Car Craft magazine that I got at a yard sale when I was in California. It had an article about a V8 Vega - a 215 aluminum V8!! It drops right in on the V6 mounts! I followed the instructions and it fit my Skyhawk the exact same way. You just have to cut a notch in the passenger frame rail for the starter because its flipped upside down from the factory style with the solenoid on top.

Good luck, and if you pull your Buick V6, don't forget to post it for sale here!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I will also say that if you do go to a SBC swap, it is a bolt in with all factory parts. Chevy sold V8 Monzas with 262, 305 and 350 ci small blocks from the factory. The 350 was a rare California-only model they were forced to use because the 262 could not pass that state's smog regs and the 305 had not yet been introduced. I believe it was a 1975 model.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
i have a three barrel holly carb that is all rebuilt. i do not know what cmf's it is right now but can find out. this carb was meant to be a replacement carb on something, unlike the 4 barrels, this one stays in too extremely well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor