78 cutlass W-31 build

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I stayed tonight and finished getting it ready to go back in.
23385.jpeg

All I have to do is take it off the stand and put the flex plate on to drop it in
23386.jpeg

I've learned from past experience to leave the crossover pipe and starter on after it's in for clearance. Some things I put on will need to come back off before it goes in but I put it all on to keep it clean inside. Body shop dust and grinding particulate are in no way good for a motor so it's even got an air cleaner on it. I also covered it with 3 plastic bags and a blanket. The only other thing I may stay late for this week is to pressure wash the engine compartment. Probably Wednesday night so if it needs it I can paint it Thursday night because Friday night it's going back in the shop. I hope to break it in Saturday evening and let it cool until Sunday morning.

Reactions: 9 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
It's all set to go tomorrow it gets pushed to the detail bey and I'll clean under the hood before we push it in my bey and take the hood back off. It goes back in the hole Saturday. After it gets broken in globex is doing the gears and posi. I made a deal with them on the fixing the mustang that got stolen. There will be more about that to come. They are going to be..... Hmmm indebted to me? I guess that's how to put it. I'm going to fix about 15k in damage on a fox body so there going to do some work for me to.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I went in early today and pressure washed the engine compartment. Hopefully everything in the shop gets finished today so I can get it in after work

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Quick update before I go in. I got it in last night the engine compartment looks pretty good. I've got a few touch ups to do but it held up well. I got a good night sleep and I'm going in soon as my coffee takes affect. There won't be a video because I still don't know how to do that.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Do you have a YouTube channel? It makes sharing videos very easy.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The motor looks really good. One thing you need to make, once it is running and driving is a dual snorkel air cleaner. That air cleaner is pretty restrictive. I used a factory 260 air cleaner for the other snorkel. It looks just like the 70's factory dual snorkel air cleaners with one big and one small snorkel. It cost almost nothing and looks factory. If I can do it, you can do it better. The best part of making your own, is not only saving $200 to $300, you can position the second scoop to clear your accessories unlike a universal or chebby Z28 remake. Good luck on the start up and break in👍.

Reactions: 3 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
The cleaned hole
23547.jpeg

The implant
23548.jpeg

And the plan.
23549.jpeg

And it is a dual snorkel air cleaner it's from an 86 442
23552.jpeg

The 260 air cleaner is in the trunk

Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Sorry for that short update guys. I worked on that thing all day and didn't need anything. Had to get out of there and hit mackdougall's across the street from the shop for a big mic lol
Everything went well absolutely no issues going in nothing broken no leaks. My brother showed up early on to help out and stayed all day till it was done. My buddy Eric showed up when I was topping off the fluids before fire up, so the three of us looked after it like a newborn for break in. I had an old son tack I hooked up under the hood and had a timing light on it the whole time. Warm it had about 40 lb of oil pressure and it never went over 185 we ran it in for about 20 minutes between 18 and 22 somewhere. As far as timing I'm not sure I think I may have the wrong timing tab on that motor because it was telling us I was at 42 full advance and it just couldn't be because it starts right up. Runs beautiful but I still have a little bit of a stumble to figure out probably a carburetor issue from trying to tune on a bad motor or maybe a plug wire breaking down. What's the break-in timer went off we shut it down tested to see if it fired right back up which it did and disconnected the battery to go home for the night. All is finally well with the motor.
23553.jpeg

Tomorrow morning I've got to go to Atco for a swap meet but tomorrow afternoon I'll be back at it. I've got to get it off the jack stands put away the tools and put the hood on. I'll probably leave it inside nights now that it runs.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 14 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor