78 El Camino front coil springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler J

Apprentice
Aug 29, 2016
Central Wisconsin
I was wondering if anyone had ran into the issue i'm having with my coil springs. I recently installed all new front suspension Moog components including coil springs. I installed Moog 5604 springs which should be for a V8 A/C car. I left upper and lower control arm bolts loose to allow them to settle before tightening them down. When I lowered the car to the ground I noticed it sits much higher than the rear. I got out the tape measure and service manual and the car is sitting roughly 3 inches higher than factory spec. Now I know they can settle over time by driving it, but I doubt they will settle 3 inches. Anyone else have these issues?

My car is a 1978 El Camino. Originally 350 with a/c and auto trans. California car

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
did you replace the rubber isolator ring that goes on top of the spring into the frame and forget to remove the old one? the bottom of the spring also has to placed in a certain position. what motor do you have? any mods to motor or body of the car?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Are the springs positioned properly in the lower control arm pockets? The end of the coil should sit between the two drain holes in the spring pocket.
I've been running 5606's for quite a few years. They did cause my car to sit higher, but have settled over time...but I'm talking years.

Tyler J

Apprentice
Aug 29, 2016
Central Wisconsin
I'll have to double check the spring position (hopefully that it) but I did make sure to remove the old isolators. Current motor is 383 with aluminum top end, deleted a/c cruise and smog. Muncie M21 trans. Originally I put in the heavy duty 5610 springs and noticed the increased ride height. I figured the standard duty ones would help level the car out but no luck.

What is the stock applications for 5606 springs?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'll have to double check the spring position (hopefully that it) but I did make sure to remove the old isolators. Current motor is 383 with aluminum top end, deleted a/c cruise and smog. Muncie M21 trans. Originally I put in the heavy duty 5610 springs and noticed the increased ride height. I figured the standard duty ones would help level the car out but no luck.

What is the stock applications for 5606 springs?

I think Jack meant 5660 not 5606. The 5660's are stock for a 4.3 equipped S10, I think.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Are the springs position properly in the lower control arm pockets? The end of the coil should sit between the two drain holes in the I've been running 5606's for quite a few years. They did cause my car to sit higher, but have settled over time...but I'm talking years.
I think Jack meant 5660 not 5606. The 5660's are stock for a 4.3 equipped S10, I think.
Jared,
I did mean 5606. Although I would replace them with 5660's.
The 5606's were standard F41 springs.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Are the springs position properly in the lower control arm pockets? The end of the coil should sit between the two drain holes in the I've been running 5606's for quite a few years. They did cause my car to sit higher, but have settled over time...but I'm talking years.

Jared,
I did mean 5606. Although I would replace them with 5660's.
The 5606's were standard F41 springs.
My bad Jack. I thought I had read you had 5660's in your wagon. Thanks for the clarification.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 user

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
you bought a stock a/c v8 application spring , then removed the a/c ,lightened the motor up quite a bit by adding the aluminum heads/intake, removing the smop pump and will assume added headers. if you swapped for a fiberglass hood that is more weight off. the stock 5604 spring on my wagon sat about 1" higher in the front then the rear. rear has the moog cargo springs that are factory for the wagons and elco's. my fronts were stock with 92,000 miles. the front still sat higher then rear. my car car is a factory v8 with a/c. no cruise and deleted the smog. sat higher once swapped the fiberglass hood. i bought belltech 1" drop springs for the front. sits nice and level now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor