78 Grand Prix project

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
85GPLef41 said:
How did you get those sill plates so clean?! 8) That's also on the to do list... :mrgreen:

I have a bench buffer with 2 wheels. I have a nice cutting wheel from Caswell Plating with a cutting compound. The polishing wheel gets Mother's polish. The pics I posted look like sh*t compared to what the sill looks like now. I'll post better pics when the whole thing is done. I'm close to a mirror finish now.

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
Looking good steve. i woudn`t worry about how long it takes or what little bit you do at a time. It is getting done and that`s the important part.
Dean

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
deanlemans81 said:
Looking good steve. i woudn`t worry about how long it takes or what little bit you do at a time. It is getting done and that`s the important part.
Dean

I appreciate it Dean, thanks. Today was one of those suck days in the garage. It was one of those days when nothing wanted to cooperate, the weather was crappy/rainy all day, and nothing really got accomplished. I only had a 6 pack out there so a good buzz didn't even happen!

However.....I did go buy some Black Diamond blasting media (coal slag) from Tractor Supply Company. The beauty of it is that it's only $8/50lb bag, almost zero dust and less than 2% silicon content. I needed something for the heavier, flaky rust because the blasting soda didn't do much for it. No pics yet, but it blew the rust of the passenger side control arms like it was nothing. It was definitely a good buy for once.

Tomorrow I go to the machine shop to discuss pistons & rods. I'll get some pics of my freshly machined 455 while I'm there.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Black beauty is the sh*t. We use it to clean steel tanks.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
dogshit said:
Black beauty is the sh*t. We use it to clean steel tanks.

I was pretty impressed with it too for the price. It's going to work really nice on the rest of the frame.

green79gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2011
Eugene,Ore
wow great job

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
G_Body....I like the wheel opening on your 78 better than my 86. Yours have a wheel flare where mine are just flat....

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Progress is looking good. I'm about here with my project as well. Haven't started on prepping the frame but it's there when I quit being lazy.

I saw that you mentioned you were media blasting the frame. How are you going about this? As in, did you buy a media blaster or?

Thanks

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
drogg1 said:
Progress is looking good. I'm about here with my project as well. Haven't started on prepping the frame but it's there when I quit being lazy.

I saw that you mentioned you were media blasting the frame. How are you going about this? As in, did you buy a media blaster or?

Thanks

I got this cheap gravity fed, portable Harbor Freight one some time ago http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-a ... 37025.html. I got it for a little over $20 with a coupon. I'm not completely stripping the entire frame to metal either. I'm blasting the scaly stuff and major rust, then sanding before using the KBS stuff. It serves it's purpose for outdoor work if you have a compressor (with a long hose!). Nothing fancy but it does the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor