Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2017
Hey guys I'm new to the forum so first off thanks for having me!

I'm having a few problems with my Malibu that I picked up in February. I've done a few mods since then. I've put on headers, mufflers, 650 summit carb and intake. With all this effort I still have some underlying problems.

1. I have a squeaky alt belt that ive replaced a few times, I have managed to reduce the squeak by putting on a thicker Gates belt. The squeak is worse when I turn on my lights.

2. I have what seems to be a rattle in the dash that sounds like it's coming from the speedometer, but I believe may be coming from the transmission and crossmember.

I would really like to eliminate these annoying sounds!

Thanks folks!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard!
Post some pics of your Malibu when you get a chance.

As for the alternator squeal, It just sounds like a weak unit according to my own experience with my old alternator. I went with a higher amp CS130 unit @105 amps. ...no more squealing when I turn the lights, wipers, heater, etc, on.
Check the voltage output at the alternator, or at the battery terminals. It should be putting out 14-14.5 volts.

Reactions: 1 users

rcs0296

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2012
tx
Hey guys I'm new to the forum so first off thanks for having me!

I'm having a few problems with my Malibu that I picked up in February. I've done a few mods since then. I've put on headers, mufflers, 650 summit carb and intake. With all this effort I still have some underlying problems.

1. I have a squeaky alt belt that ive replaced a few times, I have managed to reduce the squeak by putting on a thicker Gates belt. The squeak is worse when I turn on my lights.

2. I have what seems to be a rattle in the dash that sounds like it's coming from the speedometer, but I believe may be coming from the transmission and crossmember.

I would really like to eliminate these annoying sounds!

Thanks folks!
squeaky belt could be pulleys misaligned also the rattle could be from a bad transducer unhook it and see

Reactions: 1 user

rcs0296

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2012
tx
Welcome aboard!
Post some pics of your Malibu when you get a chance.

As for the alternator squeal, It just sounds like a weak unit according to my own experience with my old alternator. I went with a higher amp CS130 unit @105 amps. ...no more squealing when I turn the lights, wipers, heater, etc, on.
Check the voltage output at the alternator, or at the battery terminals. It should be putting out 14-14.5 volts.
powermaster sells a good upgrade as does DB electrical, sells a 140 amp upgrade fairly cheap and they are direct bolt on alternators

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor