8.8 swaps - who's done them

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Depending how they price em, if there's no discount for the brakes missing grab the brakes off the rusty one and loosely attach em. Then youve got core parts and can see how it all goes together.

Depending on your plan for using as is ot rebuilding, could compare gear ratios and do the same, just loosely swap the parts and worry about correct settings at home if the rusty rear has a more favorable ratio.....

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I think I'm just trying to be frugal. I would replace the brakes on the rusty one. So it ends up being the same. Can probably get everything from RA for less without sending the cores back than going to a local chain store and buying it

I need to get out of my own head and just go get the d@mn thing.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I think I'm just trying to be frugal. I would replace the brakes on the rusty one. So it ends up being the same. Can probably get everything from RA for less without sending the cores back than going to a local chain store and buying it

I need to get out of my own head and just go get the d@mn thing.
You'd be surprised.

Around this time of year, especially on brake parts, Napa usually has some awesome online order %off deals plus rebates via napa branded visa cash cards on top. Then stack the core charges.

By the time you pay rockauto shipping prices, and, how often rotors show up damaged these days, you'd be surprised.

Reactions: 1 user

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I would get at least the calipers for cores. When I did mine I recall the calipers had a pretty big core charge on them. The replacement I got were remanned Ford ones, they had the Ford logo cast in them. Also the calipers are the same part # for regular Mustang discs or Cobra R. Difference is in the mounting bracket, pads & rotor.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Picked it up this afternoon. Took calipers, brackets, and rotors off another one. Signed up for rewards and got 25% off. Left with it for $96.

• Winner

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Did you visit the three El Caminos they had?

I raided those for pocket freebies a month or so back. They were pretty rough and picked over. I needed a bunch of stuff of the cowl, they left for the $2 entrance fee.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
My hopes was to gather current information for others looking to do this swap in one thread, me being the one learning as I go.

How about control arm options and "kits" to get these things installed. Who used what and how do you like it?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor