BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon build-up 56K beware! update 5/20/13

Nice! That is awesome.

The local pic-a-parts are close to me, but they have been pretty bare lately.

I'll be trying to get the Olds fenders and all fitted on the car in the next few weeks, just so I can see what I am missing.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Had some red and white 16ga tfe wire. Not 14ga, but heavier than the stock stuff and should be fine.. I'll order a longer harness from racetronics when I buy some thing bigger. After shipping and tax on a $3.50 part, it was like 28 bucks :wtf: , stab it in an envelope and be done with.

Anyway, back at the lab, I reused the old connectors after pulling them from the plugs, and soldered all the wires. Plugged it all back in with die-electric grease, good to go. Just have to repaint the tank, stab it in, and fire it up.

I'll add a few pics of the set-up tonight when I get home, forgot last night.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Tank is in. Got it running again so I can turn it around in the garage. Got it turned around, and now I am in the process of pulling the Buick fenders off so I can put the Olds fenders on.
a6upaha3.jpg

2e5ututu.jpg

y4agu6am.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Hey Jim,
Glad to see you back at it again, and getting things done. It's going to look cool with the Olds nose clip on it. :)
It's great that you got it fired up again, too.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Thanks Jack. I am already liking how it looks.

denuqura.jpg

still need to get a bumper and other things. But at least I can fit it, and start getting some bodywork on the front end done.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Jim,
So you had to replace the entire front clip, fenders, hood, etc. I think I like the Olds header panel over the Buick. I'm sure you do as well, otherwise you wouldn't have replaced it. Some of the earlier ('78-'79) Buick Centurys had a pretty decent looking front end, if I recall.
Do we now call it a "Boldsmobile"? :lol:

Keep up the good work! :)

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Well, I am using the Olds fenders, header, buying the ram Air hood. Using a Buick bumper, it is shorter from the fender to front. So it would be like tucked. Then an Air damn.

I don't like the Buick front end. I Think it is butt, lol.

I like the boldsmobile!:grin:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

I think it'll look cool with the ram air hood. The Olds front bumper is kind of a massive piece. I'd like to see what it'll look like with the Buick front bumper. Are you going to make a new airdam for it, or buy one?

I also like the single headlamp header panel.

Did we coin a new name for your wagon? :lol:

BTW, did you find out anything more about the 3rd gen. Camaro window sweeps? I'm in the process of purchasing a set, I'm thinking if the Camaro pieces come blacked out, instead of me painting the stainless bead black. I guess you still have to cut them down to fit the 4-drs. But I suppose if they cab be gotten cheap, that might be the way to go.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Jack, I had the Buick bumper in it and it looked good. I'll have to put it back on and take some pics. Lauren engineering makes an Olds air damn I I will buy to modify.

The 3 gen window sweep, let me try and find it, lol. And yes, they are all black, no brightwork.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Oh, so Lauren makes an airdam that will fit an Olds front end. That's cool. That should save a bunch of work. It would still require a few mods, too? It should look good. I like the plan so far.

Are the Camaro sweeps readily available? I don't mean from your local GM dealer, but aftermarket. The dealer will rape you for sure.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor