81 Oldsmopile ( G-body rust repair )

Status
Not open for further replies.

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Heres an almost completed rear body mount. I had absolutely nothing to go on as to what this piece would look like so I used Conrad's body mount patches that came with the rails

I welded the two pieces together, then started to build off of that to meet the trunk edge, wheel well and the trunk drop off that is in the works

IMG_2294.JPG
IMG_2295.JPG

And here is the new mount still needs some welding and grinding but here it is for the test fit

IMG_2305.JPG
IMG_2306.JPG
IMG_2307.JPG
IMG_2311.JPG

Geo's66 My wheel lip is deff going to need some work so I will have pics when I get to that stage. Gonna try and save the frame if I can, lots of good solid frames in Ontario for cheap but here in the east everyone wants a mint for their rusted junk.

crucial118 That pic helps a lot thanks.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Gonna try and save the frame if I can, lots of good solid frames in Ontario for cheap but here in the east everyone wants a mint for their rusted junk.

I always LOL when my family in the Maritimes "look up" to the Junk we have in S.Ont. Its the same way we look up to the cars from AZ and CA. The salt air certainly does its damage.

Kudos to you !! That's a sh*t tonne of work you are putting into this and you are not hacking your way thru it ! I have 1 broken bolt in my frame that I am trying to ignore because I am afraid it will look like yours once I dig into it :)

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
that is alot of work, and Ihave performed such work. its a shame i could not have gotten ahold of you sooner as I have a complete floor with many of the items that you are currently replacing in rust free condition. I also made alot of what you are replacing aftermarket.

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Ya Im always looking at the junk from southern Ontario, I lived there all my life till 4 years ago and would love to move back. Wish I could fit an entire front clip in my Sonic when I go down this summer, but ill be lucky if I can bring back some trim pieces. Used to have a roadmaster wagon that I could stuff full of goodies I scored from kijiji.

Any way Got the rear body mounts completed and burned in

IMG_2312.JPG
IMG_2313.JPG
IMG_2314.JPG

This spot was a little thin so I added a piece on top to ad some rigidity

IMG_2315.JPG

Stitched this little flange to the existing spare tire well metal. Its really thin here from being stretched when it was stamped out, so i didn't bother grinding it down to much. Ill make a separate panel that will go over the cage nuts to cover them up.

IMG_2316.JPG

4 Body mounts down 6 left to go

IMG_2318.JPG
IMG_2319.JPG

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Started this a last week, but I ran out of wire and then the next day the compressor wouldn't turn on. Here is what I came up with. This will act as a spine for the inner wheel house and trunk / hump floor to weld to. It connects the rear body mount to the inner rocker.

IMG_2321.JPG

IMG_2322.JPG

Here is the plan for that body Isolator on the frame hump, Not sure what this part is sappose to look like but this is what it will look like now

IMG_2323.JPG

IMG_2327.JPG
IMG_2329.JPG

Wile the zinc was drying I made these to flange the floor for welding the new piece too

IMG_2332.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Welded this piece in but needed to cut some reliefs to get it to fit properly

IMG_2337.JPG

spot welded the new hump floor in

IMG_2338.JPG
IMG_2339.JPG

Im missing some steps here, But here is half way through the inner wheel well. Im but welding the new metal together, but lap welding the new metal to the old. I didn't want to spend loads of time fixing the welds that would have burned through so I did it this way. Its going to look like frankensteins head but it will be solid

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

Here it is clean a little and coated with some zinc primer. Im going on vacation for the next 3 weeks so ill leave it like this till I can clean up the welds better
IMG_2344.JPG
IMG_2345.JPG
IMG_2346.JPG

Would have been nice to make this out of one piece with an english wheel or find a rust free piece from a doner car but thats living in fantasy land, this will be good for a daily driver plus it will get smothered in some sort of undercoat and be hard to see when its finished.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Well, you certainly earned vacation after all this work! And now you can let the arc burns on your retinas heal.

Agreed, burying this work in undercoating will hide the bodies. Maybe roll-on bedliner?

Last edited:

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Heres what iv been doing the past 2 weeks

Welded the outer floor to the middle body mount brace

IMG_2423.JPG
IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2431.JPG

While the zinc paint was drying on the inner rocker and floor piece being joined. I welded this little piece back on over the door mount box

IMG_2430.JPG
IMG_2432.JPG

Welded the floor side in

IMG_2434.JPG

IMG_2435.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Here is the rear floor under seat. Tried to make this outta two pieces but had to cut up the the large piece to make it fit nice

IMG_2439.JPG
IMG_2442.JPG

Used some tek screws to keep it tight to the floor then cut out the small angled bits to make up the curved side section.

IMG_2444.JPG

IMG_2445.JPG

I welded up the small bits on the bench then cut out the extra floor metal under the new patch, and but welded it all around. Gunna have to adjust the wire on the seat bottom or raise up the mount that gets welded to the floor since I didn't add the bump that runs width ways across the floor.

IMG_2448.JPG

IMG_2449.JPG

Now time to test the new spot and put my feet up. Gunna start on the pass floor and hopefully fill in this hole this weekend before I go to the field for 2 weeks.

IMG_2450.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor