'83 Cutlass Cruiser Build Thread

Been debating adding the vinyl woodgrain trim around the car once it's painted. Should I do it?

• Yes, that wagon needs woodgrain

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No, leave that wagon smooth and simple.

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good looking wagon Blake! I'm sure you'll get her up to snuff in no time.

No updates for the wagon this week.
Been spending my time learning my way around my newly purchased wagon, and addressing some items it needs.

I brought it home last Friday and then Saturday morning the starter went out. :doh:
If it were 70* out this wouldn't be a big deal. But when it's 0* I'm not laying on my back in the driveway...
So unfortunately I had to shell out the big bucks for somebody to do it for me.
Didn't get it back until Wednesday. Drove it around the next day and the exhaust is getting louder.
Thursday nite the brakes started making noise and yesterday one of the sway bar links broke.
Put a set of pads on it today only to find a drained reservoir and an unplugged brake lite switch.
Fill it up and plug it in and sure enough the lite on the dash is on and it's leaking along the frame...
Good thing I sold that nice, low-mile Impala! lol
Even with the issues I'm still way happier with it than I was with the Chevy. I mean just look at it!

View attachment 46887
I've always liked them wagons. I wanted to take one and put Impala SS rear wheel well openings, and the Impala SS front end.

Blake, if your CVN did not come with the 12" HD brakes, I have them for you. Refinihsed spindles, calipers and drilled 1LE rotors if you happen to have 5x4.75 wheels...

I've always liked them wagons. I wanted to take one and put Impala SS rear wheel well openings, and the Impala SS front end.

I've always wanted to swap the front clip from a Roadmaster sedan...

Blake, if your CVN did not come with the 12" HD brakes, I have them for you. Refinihsed spindles, calipers and drilled 1LE rotors if you happen to have 5x4.75 wheels...

Trying not to pump a bunch of money into it. Already spent more than I should have... Paying for that starter install wasn't cheap!
For now I'm just fixing the essentials so I can get back to spending all of my money on finishing the Cutlass lol
That's not to say I won't tinker with the Buick along the way, but the priority has to be the Olds for now. I really want it finished in time for summer.
Not only because I want to enjoy it, but because I also want to get some stuff done on the 442 and even drag the hearse out of storage...

Finally back to working on the wagon that I'm supposed to be spending my time on!
Tuesday I got the cowl and the upper portion of the firewall cleaned up and ready to go.
The rest of the firewall can wait till the motor eventually comes out.
Today I cleaned up the crusty spots on the floor with a wire wheel and stripper wheel and brushed on some Rustoleum to cover it up.
Once that's dry I can seam seal the inside and spots on the firewall, then I can spray the semi-gloss black.
And when that's done I can have the new windshield and 1/4 windows glued in.
I took a picture, but it won't show up in my email yet... so, no pictures this time I guess...

Hope to spray my bumper fillers and other pieces this weekend...

Buddy forgot to order my paint again, so no spraying this weekend...
Made use of the day taking care of the seam sealer on the floor and firewall so that's out of the way.
I'll get my paint this week for sure so I don't lose anymore ground than I already have...
Then I can shoot the fillers and bits this weekend and the cowl/firewall next week.

Took a peek inside the bottles of buffing compound I got and 2 out of 3 are separated, so I have to send that sh*t back.
Good thing I looked, because the 30 day return policy is almost up!
I'll get new compound on it's way so that I can start sanding and buffing once the painting is finished! :wax:

My phone has stopped cooperating with me and no longer sends my pictures...
So you'll have to bear with me since fixing it isn't exactly at the top of my list at the moment.
I'll figure it out soon and make some progress worth taking some pictures of!

Reactions: liquidh8
Friday I got my bumper fillers, trim and other remaining bits painted.
Everything turned out great, so I'm a happy camper. :banana:
Still no fix on my phone so no pictures yet...
Just need to spray the black on the cowl and around the heater box opening and I'm done with the spraying (for now).
Then comes the sanding and buffing... :wax:

Loaded up all of my freshly painted bits to take home today.
They'll be out of the way and safe from over-spray/dirt/Ziggy in my garage...
I put the mirrors back together so I'd have fewer pieces to handle.
Got started masking up the firewall so that I can spray the black this weekend.
Had to dig out the cowl tag so that I can clean it up and paint it in place like the factory.
I also need to clean up the VIN tag so that I can get that installed before the windshield and dash go back in.
Plenty to do!

Spent a lot of time today going back and forth in my head of how I wanted to do the firewall.
At the end of it all I decided to stick with the plan and just shoot it black as much as I can...
Trying to mimic the way the factory did it is just more work than I care to invest at the moment.
I can always make it better down the road when the motor eventually comes out.

Got to work and drilled out the holes for the antenna at the base of the windshield.
Then I stripped, cleaned up and reinstalled the body cowl tag so that it can be painted how it should be.
First I will need to make a few test spray-outs and see how much/little gloss I'm happy with.
Everything is masked and scuffed, so I just need to wipe it off and let 'er rip! Looks like Saturday will be the day.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor