'83 Cutlass Cruiser Build Thread

Been debating adding the vinyl woodgrain trim around the car once it's painted. Should I do it?

• Yes, that wagon needs woodgrain

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No, leave that wagon smooth and simple.

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dash went back together smoothly... no missing or extra pieces!
I'll probably order up my carpet this week as well as some headliner material.

10698454_10156600782705387_1850278805067691780_n.jpg

Changed my mind and re-ordered my buffing supplies instead. Carpet and headliner can wait for a bit...
Today I finally fixed my stripped out body bolts.
#2 below the drivers side cowl was easy. Just ran a longer bolt thru and put a nut on top. Done.
#7 behind the passenger rear tire required a little more effort.
Same as up front I just got a longer bolt, though I had to make an access hole (rather crudely) to get the nut in place.
Then I bent the metal back down and goobered it up with seam sealer.
It's only visible with the spare tire compartment open, so needless to say I didn't get carried away with making it look nice...
Made a lap around the car and re-torqued all the body bolts. Good to go.
I'll probably start cleaning up the rear cargo floor and getting that ready to reinstall while I wait for my buffing compound to arrive.

I like to see progress. You'll be cruisin' in no time.

Reactions: Blake442
Nice, how are you doing the headliner?

I have to do mine yet, I'll be ordering the DAP weldwood adhesive with a gun. I have done headliners with the spray can glue and they never seemed to last.

Nice, how are you doing the headliner?

I have to do mine yet, I'll be ordering the DAP weldwood adhesive with a gun. I have done headliners with the spray can glue and they never seemed to last.

Jim,
I'd have to agree with you. The spraycans are not as effective as shooting it thru a spraygun. You're able to lay down more material than a measly spraycan.
I regret not investing in a gun and getting a quart of DAP Weldwood, which I used to bond the carpeting to the lower door panels.
My headliner could have come out a little better. I'm a little disappointed. There's a few air pockets here and there. Besides, I also had to do the headliner in my Olds Ciera, which came out better...more practice.

Reactions: liquidh8
Honestly, I was just going to spray-can the headliner...
I've only done one in the past, but it turned out great.
Although it was for a customer, so I never saw/heard if there were ever any issues with it longevity-wise...
He never came back... Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing... lol
If it starts to fall down again, that's what staples are for!

Today I stared at the car a whole bunch and then buzzed down the rear cargo floor to get it ready for paint.
Menard's had some Rustoleum that is a surprisingly close match, so I'm going to throw that on it and call it done.
I will be re-using my original rear carpet insert, so it doesn't really matter if it's not perfect underneath.
My supplies showed up today, so I'll get the floor painted Saturday and then get started with the sanding and buffing next week. :wax:

Last edited:
Reactions: Longroof79
That looks familiar...I ended up painting mine with SEM Burgundy...and spent too much in the process...only to be covered with carpeting.

I'm really enjoying watching the progress on your car Blake. It looks fantastic. Keep up the good work.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor