'83 Cutlass Cruiser Build Thread

Been debating adding the vinyl woodgrain trim around the car once it's painted. Should I do it?

• Yes, that wagon needs woodgrain

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No, leave that wagon smooth and simple.

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Made a little more progress on the wagon, slowly but surely!
After my beautiful week off, the weather took a dive and it was cold and rainy for over a week, so nothing got done...
Snuck my bumper shocks into work last nite and threw them on the press to try my luck again.
Squeezed them down to where I wanted them but they kept popping back...
Since at least they were moving freely now, when I got home I put them in a clamp and set it at the length I wanted.
I then drilled another hole right near the flange thru the outer and inner pieces and ran a big screw thru it to hold it in place.
One more screw at the back to fill the hole I drilled to drain the oil and now they're done.
Now they won't creep back out on me, and in the event of a collision the screw will break and still provide some cushion.
Got them mounted on the frame rails and will get the bumper on after I readjust the passenger side fender...
There's a few other irons in the fire to eat up my time, but it shouldn't be too long before we're road-worthy!

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Blake, definitely looking forward to the completed pictures.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Blake,
I was wondering what you were up to these days. I'm also looking forward to seeing some progress pics...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The weather here in lovely Minnesota doesn't really get consistently decent until June, so since it's back home the stars have to line up just right for me to get anything done lol. Weekend forecast looks pretty good so I'm hoping to get some more stuff accomplished.
I've been dreading readjusting the fender, so trying to scrape up the motivation has slowed the rest of the progress...

On a positive note, my dwindling to-do list doesn't fill a whole page of paper anymore!
Still left to tackle are...
-readjusting the fender and hood
-install front bumper
-fix broken headlite ground wire
-sun visors
-install wiper motor, arms and blades
-go thru front brakes
-get new front tires and front-end alignment
-replace trim around woodgrain
-new plates (hasn't been registered in 3 years)
-get inspected by insurance company

And that's pretty much it!
Of course, combine that with all the other sh*t I've been not doing a good job at getting done, and how slowly I do things, it's easy to see why everything takes me so long hahaha!

Hopefully it's not TOO nice this weekend, I have a tendency to get distracted... Have a good Holiday everybody!

Reactions: 4 users

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
Looking good Blake! That's gonna make one nice Cruiser!

Mine has been in storage being neglected. I need to cut something loose. I am out of room to work, and it's making me not do anything.......getting old and lazy I suppose!

I like driving my old wagon, but the 305 is less than inspiring.....I have been considering doing a LQ4 6.0 install, or selling it. :-/

Reactions: 2 users

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Good to hear from you Brian!
My 350 is no powerhouse either, but it runs good enough that I can't justify pulling it out yet...
I hope you're able to get your wagon out and enjoy it, I know you've got a lot of work in yours too!

Yesterday I pulled the cover off the car, knowing that seeing it would help motivate me to work on it haha...
Today I spent some time in the garage and managed to check a few more things off my list.
First I adjusted the passenger fender, the front edge wasn't lining up with the header panel correctly.
Once that was straightened out I had to readjust the hood to get the gaps right. MUCH better now!
Happy with those I got the front bumper bolted in place and the fillers that bolt to the fenders installed to complete the package.
My 1-7/8" shortened bumper shocks were at the perfect length and the fillers look nice and even all around.

Bumper on!
18698172_10158820416950387_2904806090241355619_n.jpg

Nice gaps
18740788_10158820418175387_3093237337554720055_n.jpg

Almost ready to cruise!
18740636_10158820419950387_7169772758165685835_n.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
:drool:

right as I finally decide to cut my losses and sell the Grand Prix, get a daily driver to keep the miles down on the truck, and throw a little $ at the Regal, a few of you are making me want a wagon..... :rant:

seriously, I'm glad you're taking the time near the end to get things right, instead of rushing through them... that thing has turned out beautiful!

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'd be dying not driving that beauty!

Beautiful job, you should be very proud!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor