83 Delta 88 Alternator Wont Charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The alternator bracket will have a ground cable attached to it. Also, you can check where the alternator is bolted to the bracket. Just make sure it's fastened down snuggly. You can check for continuity using your meter. Chances are you probably are getting a good ground.
Having the charge light become dimmer is a promising sign....but 11.9 volts is not good.
Ideally, you want the alt to be putting out anywhere from 13 -14.5 volts.

Btw, junkyards do not test their alternators and components. Mr.Fleming is absolutely correct. If it tests bad, they'll offer you a replacement. Do yourself a favor and have a shop or someone bench test the unit. Is there a starter, generator, alternator rebuild shop nearby? If not, most any auto parts stores are equipped to test your unit.

Reactions: 2 users

Jim hopper

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2017
Maybe it's time to buy a new one not one frome a junk yard thay don't cost that much

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Chris Tomas

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2018
Ohmmeter from negative terminal to desired test point. Less is more.
Ok, so just to clarify i test ohms from the negative battery terminal to lets say... The alt bracket, and by less is more you mean i should be wanting a higher resistance on the DVOM?

Reactions: 1 user

Chris Tomas

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2018
The alternator bracket will have a ground cable attached to it. Also, you can check where the alternator is bolted to the bracket. Just make sure it's fastened down snuggly. You can check for continuity using your meter. Chances are you probably are getting a good ground.
Having the charge light become dimmer is a promising sign....but 11.9 volts is not good.
Ideally, you want the alt to be putting out anywhere from 13 -14.5 volts.

Btw, junkyards do not test their alternators and components. Mr.Fleming is absolutely correct. If it tests bad, they'll offer you a replacement. Do yourself a favor and have a shop or someone bench test the unit. Is there a starter, generator, alternator rebuild shop nearby? If not, most any auto parts stores are equipped to test your unit.

So the ground cable should be attached to the black bottom alt bracket then? lll check continuity for sure though!

And i believe partsource is the only shop in the city to do so, apparently canadian tire stopped testing alternators years ago.

Chris Tomas

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2018
Maybe it's time to buy a new one not one frome a junk yard thay don't cost that much
You know, in hindsight i agree haha. I'm just nervous about aftermarket parts, thought that original delco remy parts would be a good choice i guess?

Jim hopper

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2017
Actually thay r rebuilt and under warranty so just get a new one and b dune whith it

Reactions: 1 user

Chris Tomas

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2018
I should mention that with the original alternator and first swap, i got readings of about 12.8 volts at maximum with no accessories on, with the motor running obviously. This 2nd alternator swap now gives a reading of 11.90 volts.

Heres hoping third times the charm, and ill get at least 13ish volts,maybe 14 (provided that the alt is truly bad)

Chris Tomas

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2018
Also one more thing to note, with the 1st alternator swap, prior to testing its output with the DVOM, my battery was resting at 12.6 volts, upon firing up the motor, the voltmeter showed the battery DID charge to about 12.89 volts and stopped, however that happened with VERY small increments, i.e 12.61, 12.62,12.63 etc.

Keep in mind that was with the original factory wiring before doing the bypass as Jim Hopper suggested.

If my guess is right, then what was happening was the charging stopped due to a damaged fusible link or something in the wiring harness that couldnt handle anymore current. I have a feeling had i done the bypass earlier this might have been over and done with lol. Guess we will see though!

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their night, and thank you all again for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor