84' Cutlass pro touring build

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
And there is some serious engineering with hood vents and placement. I actually moved them forward from where I originally planned to place them. This was after extensive reading about high pressure area at the base of the windshield. It would take a multi million dollar air flow test facility to correctly find the best low pressure area for perfect placement.
It was interesting reading about Zora Arkus Dontov and cowl hoods on corvettes.
I can confirm through canadian "Wind tunnel testing" that they will work.

Driving Winter Storm GIF by Outside Watch

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
You and I have the same thoughts on hood vent function and execution.
And there is some serious engineering with hood vents and placement. I actually moved them forward from where I originally planned to place them. This was after extensive reading about high pressure area at the base of the windshield. It would take a multi million dollar air flow test facility to correctly find the best low pressure area for perfect placement.
Placement can be low buck….. or at least for close enough placement. When I break in all the mechanicals, I’m going to determine where to put the vents by running a mocked up hood with yarn strands taped all over it. Where the yarn pulls up and blows around is where the pressure is low, where it lays flat is where pressure is higher.

For those that may not understand the method to the madness, the vents go where pressure on the top side of the hood is lower to 1)”suck” the heat out of the engine bay and 2) lower underhood pressure, thus reducing up force at speed. I have an interesting book (I’m an engineer, so my definition of interesting may be different than most) regarding automotive aerodynamics and how to improve them.
Can you tell us the name of the book? Very interested.

Reactions: 1 user

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Can you tell us the name of the book? Very interested.
I’ll find it tonight and post it up for everyone. It’s focused more towards racing, but many of the principles can be applied to our projects.

Reactions: 2 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Again.... Not going against the grain; just asking questions to see what others approach to the possible issues will be since I've considered underhood venting.
Building a fair-weather cruiser is how many (most?) do it. Having built a few rides, I also know Ma Nature & her ability to change things on a nice day when you're out & about.

If I remember correctly, what works well @ one speed might yield different results @ other speeds which also dictates what would be considered 'optimal' placement? Since these aren't race cars, the placement isn't a huge deal. But if one is going through the effort, they might as well @ least try to put them as close to optimum for their needs.
I’m not arguing your points, as they’re valid. In my case, I don’t plan on driving my car if there is a chance of bad weather but as you said, Mother Nature has the final say. Thinking about it, I always keep a small roll of cheap duct tape (for detailing purposes) in my cars that I could use to close the vents up if really needed. The great thing is there isn’t a wrong answer, it’s whatever works for each person and their ride!

Reactions: 5 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I’ll find it tonight and post it up for everyone. It’s focused more towards racing, but many of the principles can be applied to our projects.
I didn’t want to hijack this build thread, so I created a new one with the books.

Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
If I remember correctly, what works well @ one speed might yield different results @ other speeds which also dictates what would be considered 'optimal' placement? Since these aren't race cars, the placement isn't a huge deal. But if one is going through the effort, they might as well @ least try to put them as close to optimum for their needs.
true enough. I still remember some stuff from my Navy days on a submarine. the fairwater planes on the tower control the depth. tilt down to go down, tilt up to go up, just like airplane wings. but at a certain speed and slower you will actually get what is called 'fairwater planes reversal'. just like an airplane wing the pressure difference between top and bottom is not enough and you will actually get lower pressure on top that will literally suck the submarine up instead of down.

Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
This will probably be the last spraying until spring. Gale force winds being just a few miles from Lake Michigan easily overcome my little exhaust fans. Hoping next week i can get a hand installing the hood and trunk lid.
20221202_120413.jpg
20221202_120417.jpg

Reactions: 11 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Hey that looks MUCH smoother than the last time you sprayed the car! What did you do differently?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Hey that looks MUCH smoother than the last time you sprayed the car! What did you do differently?
I took down the visquene plastic. There had to be 2 to 3 gallons of sanding dust on top of it blocking the light.
Yep all i needed was light to follow my wet edge properly.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor