84' Cutlass pro touring build

Is it critical to get all of the paint off?

Was the old paint cracked, or what was the issue with it?

Asking for a friend ……. :-/ ……me haha

Is it critical to get all of the paint off?

Was the old paint cracked, or what was the issue with it?

Asking for a friend ……. :-/ ……me haha
Original paint had that checkered cracking in several areas. Look closely and you can see.
20231004_114921.jpg
20231003_095935.jpg

Tony they make an aerosol based paint stripper for plastics.its geared towards today's finishes/bumper covers.It's mild and you gotta do a little bit at a time because the outgassing of they get temporally soft so you gotta let them do their thing and firm backup.

Tony they make an aerosol based paint stripper for plastics.its geared towards today's finishes/bumper covers.It's mild and you gotta do a little bit at a time because the outgassing of they get temporally soft so you gotta let them do their thing and firm backup.
Sounds scary... to me anyway. Lol
Anyway I've gotten some advice from Donovan and others on how to proceed. What do you think about next process for/before paint?

Reactions: Rktpwrd
Is there a particular brand or product that you have used that works well?

Asking as both of my bumper covers look just like Tony’s and I was completely unaware of a stripper that will remove the paint.

Well I spent the better part of the last 5 weeks on the bumper covers/header grill panel for front. Also got the bumper done and mocked up. Stripping this plastic is something I hope I never have to do again but time will tell. Going against advice i received here may bite me later but spoke with summit racing and they told me their epoxy is good to go on prepped plastic with adhesion promoter first. I still had to lay surfacer down and sand from 320 to 600.
There are some spots I hit plastic again if you can see in pics. I'm just going to lightly brush/dab Bulldog on those parts before final sealer and paint unless someone tells me otherwise. Really kind of a nightmare. But I'm not going to worry anymore. It is what it is.
20231205_145623.jpg
20231205_145650.jpg
20231205_145701.jpg
20231205_145731.jpg
20231205_145804.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor