84' Cutlass pro touring build

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Spent last few days cleaning and more to come. Getting very close to the main event. Whew...
So I need some advice. How would you tackle this? One coat of sealer then 2 to 3 coats of paint. Questions i have are really about the jams. I am not taking doors off. My plan was to start at front jam near engine compartment then open door and do inside. Would you seal it alone then paint alone then afterwards do the rest of the body shell? Or just do it all together?
And any hints on what I should keep nearby like tweezers etc.
I'm worried about over spray mostly. Thanks guys. View attachment 205145 View attachment 205146 View attachment 205147 View attachment 205148 View attachment 205149
Well Seal has to have a dry time, 24 hours if I remember correctly. 2-3 coats of paint is good but 3 coats of Clear is better over Paint. Best to Paint it all Together if possible. I don't blame ya for not wanting to take off the doors and I think your plan for painting Out to Inside is good.

Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Well Seal has to have a dry time, 24 hours if I remember correctly. 2-3 coats of paint is good but 3 coats of Clear is better over Paint. Best to Paint it all Together if possible. I don't blame ya for not wanting to take off the doors and I think your plan for painting Out to Inside is good.
It's single stage paint

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Spent last few days cleaning and more to come. Getting very close to the main event. Whew...
So I need some advice. How would you tackle this? One coat of sealer then 2 to 3 coats of paint. Questions i have are really about the jams. I am not taking doors off. My plan was to start at front jam near engine compartment then open door and do inside. Would you seal it alone then paint alone then afterwards do the rest of the body shell? Or just do it all together?
And any hints on what I should keep nearby like tweezers etc.
I'm worried about over spray mostly. Thanks guys.
if i wasn't blowing it apart for paint i'd do the jambs and then the outside separate.otherwise the chase is on to keep things wet and all.sure it's more work because it's double the time/masking etc etc but overall(myself)it'll come out better.i'd jamb everything,hang it all,estabish my lines(as it never goes the way it came apart)and spray the outside.keep in mind all those paper folds,crevises,seams,anyplace where paper/plastic meet can form pockets that when they're hit with psi will move and posablly kick up dust.those areas hold dust.try and "pull" the plastic together,as in make it as tight as you can.pull it tight and tape it to itself.you want it taught.do a dry run,blow it all down with air and see how your masking behaves.that will show you whats going to move when you're actually painting it.it'll show whats to loose and where these areas that can trap are etc.that said keeping a roll of tape handy is away a good idea.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
if i wasn't blowing it apart for paint i'd do the jambs and then the outside separate.otherwise the chase is on to keep things wet and all.sure it's more work because it's double the time/masking etc etc but overall(myself)it'll come out better.i'd jamb everything,hang it all,estabish my lines(as it never goes the way it came apart)and spray the outside.keep in mind all those paper folds,crevises,seams,anyplace where paper/plastic meet can form pockets that when they're hit with psi will move and posablly kick up dust.those areas hold dust.try and "pull" the plastic together,as in make it as tight as you can.pull it tight and tape it to itself.you want it taught.do a dry run,blow it all down with air and see how your masking behaves.that will show you whats going to move when you're actually painting it.it'll show whats to loose and where these areas that can trap are etc.that said keeping a roll of tape handy is away a good idea.
I understand. Somewhat... let me ask you this... and keep in mind I'm not doing front fenders or anything other than shell and doors right now. Would it make sense to do the jams and entire door inside and out all at once? Then next day i can mask and cover that and just do roof and rear quarters and trunk areas?

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I vote for jams first with the car up in the air higher then you’ll have it when painting the exterior so that it’s easy to get the door bottoms.

Reactions: 3 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I understand. Somewhat... let me ask you this... and keep in mind I'm not doing front fenders or anything other than shell and doors right now. Would it make sense to do the jams and entire door inside and out all at once? Then next day i can mask and cover that and just do roof and rear quarters and trunk areas?
there's a million ways to do it whatever meets your comfort level is what's important.being an overall,white and single stage it's on the forgiving side to an extent.if you're gonna your space out the time frame like that please please keep track of how many coats of each product you use,the pressure and reducer,what color sealer etc that way by repeating the steps every time you paint the outcome will be the same when all's said and done.you may find with some single stages you might need more than one day to mask those freshly sprayed surfaces in order to not have the tape leave some residue.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Well everything turned out ok. I have a few gnarly runs in both doors so that will need some work. Doors and jambs done Monday. Yesterday re taped and cleaned. Today did the remainder. Some light texture/orange peel. I feel pretty good even with the issues.

Attachments

• 20220824_151817.jpg
    20220824_151817.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220824_151809.jpg
    20220824_151809.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220824_151748.jpg
    20220824_151748.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220824_151735.jpg
    20220824_151735.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220824_151705.jpg
    20220824_151705.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220824_151525.jpg
    20220824_151525.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220824_151459.jpg
    20220824_151459.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220824_151455.jpg
    20220824_151455.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Winner
Reactions: 12 users

Houston78

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Well everything turned out ok. I have a few gnarly runs in both doors so that will need some work. Doors and jambs done Monday. Yesterday re taped and cleaned. Today did the remainder. Some light texture/orange peel. I feel pretty good even with the issues.
The only issue I see are the tiger stripes on the roof but I'm sure a lil wet sanding and buff will smooth all that out along with the runs. I remember my first pearl paint job had the same tiger stripe effect on the entire car. I would use a small aluminum block wrapped in some 1000 grit to smooth the runs out. It's been years since I painted anything with a spray gun.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor