84 Hurst/Olds drivability issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I will likely start with a new fuel tank and sending unit. Do you happen to have a part number or link to the correct throttle bushings for the factory carb? I saw many different ones online, but not sure which one is correct.

Damn , your problems almost the same as mine.

quick question - your carb has been re-built , by who ? i thinking the previous owner had it done with your comment about carb being loose when you bought it .

just asking , i will be following.

Dave
I believe the carb and engine was rebuilt back in the late 90's, but it has sat a long time. So it needed freshened up. It was last registered in 2000 I believe.

20151022_133843.jpg
20151022_133240.jpg
20151107_175400.jpg

For all of your Quadrajet needs go here http://www.cliffshighperformance.com. That is Cliff Ruggles website, if you don't know who he is, he is regarded as the king of quadrajets. Fill out the request sheet on the website and he will get back to you with what kit is best for you. He helped me when I was building the Qjet for my dirt car, and when I built the Qjet for my Pontiac 400. Also get his book, it has a ton of awesome info to help with the rebuild.

Any chance the catalytic converter is plugged? Any temperature issues?

Cool car by the way.

Any chance the catalytic converter is plugged? Any temperature issues?
No temp issues. Bought a new tank and sending unit assembly online, will install once they get here and I have a chance to mess with it. It does have the factory cat; what's an easy way to check it?

In my experience those old pancake or flat bed converters are prone to getting plugged up. Modern converters don't seem to have the same problem. It may well not be your problem but I thought it was worth asking. Here is a little blurb I found online on testing a converter with a vacuum gauge. I encourage you to do your own search and see what you think. I hope this helps. ........

To diagnose a plugged catalytic converter, you can check intake vacuum or exhaust backpressure. To check intake vacuum, connect a vacuum gauge to a vacuum port on the intake manifold. Start the engine and note the vacuum reading at idle. Then increase engine speed to about 2,500 rpm and hold steady. Normal vacuum at idle for most engines should be 18 to 22 inches Hg. When the engine speed is increased there should be a momentary drop in vacuum before it returns to within a couple of inches of the idle reading. If the vacuum reading is 10 percent lower than normal and/or continues to drop as the engine runs, it probably indicates a buildup of backpressure in the exhaust. Remember, though, that intake vacuum can also be affected by retarded ignition timing and valve timing. What's more, some engines are much more sensitive to small changes in intake vacuum than others, so checking backpressure rather than intake vacuum may give you a better indication of what's going on.

In my experience those old pancake or flat bed converters are prone to getting plugged up. Modern converters don't seem to have the same problem. It may well not be your problem but I thought it was worth asking. Here is a little blurb I found online on testing a converter with a vacuum gauge. I encourage you to do your own search and see what you think. I hope this helps. ........

To diagnose a plugged catalytic converter, you can check intake vacuum or exhaust backpressure. To check intake vacuum, connect a vacuum gauge to a vacuum port on the intake manifold. Start the engine and note the vacuum reading at idle. Then increase engine speed to about 2,500 rpm and hold steady. Normal vacuum at idle for most engines should be 18 to 22 inches Hg. When the engine speed is increased there should be a momentary drop in vacuum before it returns to within a couple of inches of the idle reading. If the vacuum reading is 10 percent lower than normal and/or continues to drop as the engine runs, it probably indicates a buildup of backpressure in the exhaust. Remember, though, that intake vacuum can also be affected by retarded ignition timing and valve timing. What's more, some engines are much more sensitive to small changes in intake vacuum than others, so checking backpressure rather than intake vacuum may give you a better indication of what's going on.

I'm lazy, I use an infared tempature gun and if the temperature is lower at the exit of the cat than the entrance it's plugged

Reactions: Texas82GP
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor