BUILD THREAD 84 Hurst Olds - TechG8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
We looked at a year old Challenger GT and the ghost stripes were already bubbling.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Today I laid the primer surfacer and sanded it down. Time for some color, so I need to make up my mind.

I am tempted to clear everything, to get a uniform gloss, and protect the older paint. This is not a showcar nor a really nice driver. Itll be a good looking driver. This car has enough bends and kinks to make it not worth a complete resto.

It would be much easier to just clear the top and leave the sides as they are because everything is masked, ready to be sprayed. In this case it would be ideal if I could get the code 17 paint in between a gloss and a satin, whatever that is called.

I don't know. time will tell.

I am keeping it moving along though, taking advantage of a couple cloudy days!

Reactions: 1 users

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
So I busted my butt this week sanding priming and sanding some more....trying to get the car painted not ASAP, but quickly. you know....keep the ball rolling....keep making progress...git r dun.

well I final prepped yesterday and laid my first coat of Base color #17 Silver Mist.....AND IT WRINKLED

I am not really sure why as yet.

I am going to take a little break from it and look at fixing it when I feel a bit less frustrated.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
So I busted my butt this week sanding priming and sanding some more....trying to get the car painted not ASAP, but quickly. you know....keep the ball rolling....keep making progress...git r dun.

well I final prepped yesterday and laid my first coat of Base color #17 Silver Mist.....AND IT WRINKLED

I am not really sure why as yet.

I am going to take a little break from it and look at fixing it when I feel a bit less frustrated.
Same brand/line/compatibility of paint products, right? I assume so, but that'd be the first thing I'd check.

• Agree

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Same brand/line/compatibility of paint products, right? I assume so, but that'd be the first thing I'd check.

Its going to be a chemical incompatibility I think that caused it. OR maybe the cool temps didn't let the layers dry up enough and I stacked too fast.

Sherwin Williams basecoat proline over Eastwood 2K urethane primer surfacer (I opted not to sealer coat) over Eastwood Epoxy Primer.

I am going to try a few things on a few small areas, see if I can come up with a remedy other than stripping it and starting all over.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
So it ends up my technique was the biggest problem that caused the basecoat to wrinkle. I sprayed too close and heavy.

I sanded 400, sealed with epoxy reduced, and just this morning laid 3xbase and 2xclear.

Looks great. Pics soon!

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
No...Pics NOW! Hahaha. :) Glad everything worked out without having to redo the entire car! Whew!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Update:

Ive finished recoloring all the interior plastics. Still need to redo the headliner though.

Weatherstrip kit finally arrived so Ive installed it.
DSCN2373.JPG

Detailed and installed the window trims. The weird anchor shaped clips for the lower rear were pricey! I think I paid $40 for 6 of them.
DSCN2377.JPG DSCN2374.JPG

Overall I think the paint came out pretty good, considering my lack of attention to dust/pollen in the garage. It certainly looks much better than it did. The new paint looks a tiny shade darket than the original when seen at the right angle, but because it goes to the stripe/bodyline, it looks great as two tone, if anything. Doesn't look at all out of place. Sorry the pics are in the garage but it started raining.
DSCN2372.JPG DSCN2375.JPG DSCN2376.JPG

I will get better pics when I am all done.

Remaining:
Repair wing, paint
Cleanup and paint Ttops, install weatherstrips
rePaint hood scoop and install.
Redo headliner!!!!!!!

Its running and sounds great, if a little loud because of the series 40 flowmasters.

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Just got caught up. Awesome project!

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor